Greetings from a Noob...

SamSpade

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings from a Noob to the Security Camera world...

So I've been reading and learning a lot here. Lots of good information. Thanks for all the good discussion.

Turns out I have a little problem. Let me provide a little background. I purchased 9 cameras, and I'm running them through a cisco PoE Switch to a resurrected Xenon PC that I've learned isn't really powerful enough. I purchased a Blue Iris license (full) and all was OK (sort of). I'm in the process of researching a better box so that I can view and record from all 9 cameras.

Currently, I can put 6 of the cameras on the screen and I'm hitting 90+ CPU usage. I had this idea that I would install Blue Iris on a laptop and put the other three cameras on there. I went ahead and did that. When I entered the License Key into the laptop Blue Iris software everything seemed fine. Later I noticed that the Xenon PC Blue Iris screen indicated that it was in the "Blue Iris Evaluation Version" state (there is a banner across each camera view and it's recorded across the recorded video as well). I re-entered the License Key on the Xenon PC again, and again some time later, I noticed that now the laptop reverted back to the "Blue Iris Evaluation Version" state.

Over the course of the weekend doing various experiments I had entered the license key into each machine more than a couple of times each. Later, I realized that my wife's PC is a i7-4790 machine, so as an experiment, I loaded Blue Iris into that machine, and then entered the license key. When I did that, a message popped up indicating that I've entered the license key to many times and that now the license key is invalid (or something like that). All three PCs - the Xenon, the laptop, and my wife's PC all have the "Blue Iris Evaluation Version" banner across the camera views as well as the recorded video.

Ultimately, I'll have just one PC with all 9 cameras, and hopefully I can get a good license key re-issued...

My question is, I emailed: support@blueirissoftware.com, and explained the situation (I was a lot less detailed) and asked them if they could provide a new key. Do you guys have any feel on how responsive they will be? I sent the message this AM. Will I be waiting days, weeks, or longer for a response? Have you guys heard of a situation like this previously? Are they going to say screw you, buy an new license? Are they going to ignore me completely?

I couldn't find a number to call. Does anyone know if they have phone number that I could call?

Thanks in advance for any insight or ideas.

sam

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I believe if you go into settings > about within Blueiris then select deactivate you should be able to add the key on your other system... i.e. transferring the licence from one asset to another.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Greetings from a Noob to the Security Camera world...

So I've been reading and learning a lot here. Lots of good information. Thanks for all the good discussion.

Turns out I have a little problem. Let me provide a little background. I purchased 9 cameras, and I'm running them through a cisco PoE Switch to a resurrected Xenon PC that I've learned isn't really powerful enough. I purchased a Blue Iris license (full) and all was OK (sort of). I'm in the process of researching a better box so that I can view and record from all 9 cameras.

Currently, I can put 6 of the cameras on the screen and I'm hitting 90+ CPU usage. I had this idea that I would install Blue Iris on a laptop and put the other three cameras on there. I went ahead and did that. When I entered the License Key into the laptop Blue Iris software everything seemed fine. Later I noticed that the Xenon PC Blue Iris screen indicated that it was in the "Blue Iris Evaluation Version" state (there is a banner across each camera view and it's recorded across the recorded video as well). I re-entered the License Key on the Xenon PC again, and again some time later, I noticed that now the laptop reverted back to the "Blue Iris Evaluation Version" state.

Over the course of the weekend doing various experiments I had entered the license key into each machine more than a couple of times each. Later, I realized that my wife's PC is a i7-4790 machine, so as an experiment, I loaded Blue Iris into that machine, and then entered the license key. When I did that, a message popped up indicating that I've entered the license key to many times and that now the license key is invalid (or something like that). All three PCs - the Xenon, the laptop, and my wife's PC all have the "Blue Iris Evaluation Version" banner across the camera views as well as the recorded video.

Ultimately, I'll have just one PC with all 9 cameras, and hopefully I can get a good license key re-issued...

My question is, I emailed: support@blueirissoftware.com, and explained the situation (I was a lot less detailed) and asked them if they could provide a new key. Do you guys have any feel on how responsive they will be? I sent the message this AM. Will I be waiting days, weeks, or longer for a response? Have you guys heard of a situation like this previously? Are they going to say screw you, buy an new license? Are they going to ignore me completely?

I couldn't find a number to call. Does anyone know if they have phone number that I could call?

Thanks in advance for any insight or ideas.

sam
He will reactivate your original key...the license is for a single machine...a second license is half off..
As stated, use the deactivate function...
There is no number...its 60 dollar software, you will not find phone support unless you are willing to pay 50-150 per camera.
Make sure you are using direct to disk to limit cpu consumption (will not work in demo)

SamSpade

n3wb
Reaction score
He will reactivate your original key...the license is for a single machine...a second license is half off..
As stated, use the deactivate function...
There is no number...its 60 dollar software, you will not find phone support unless you are willing to pay 50-150 per camera.
Make sure you are using direct to disk to limit cpu consumption (will not work in demo)
Thank for the replies c_wolf and f_man.

Jennifer at BI reactivated my license! I'm pretty happy about that.

I have the new PC set up and running now. i7-7700 CPU, MSI Z270 M7 Motherboard, MSI GTX 1050ti graphic card, 16Gb Memory etc... my son says I can do some serious gaming and even virtual reality. I might have to try that out. lol.

But the important thing is... All 9 cameras: 4 each, 3MP POE Dome, 4 each, 2MP POE Bullet, and 1 - 3MP POE PTZ Dome cameras all load and run with minimal delay (about 1 second), and I'm only pulling 24% of CPU! I'm totally stoked. Now I have to do some more tweaking...

Thanks again...

sam

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank for the replies c_wolf and f_man.

Jennifer at BI reactivated my license! I'm pretty happy about that.

I have the new PC set up and running now. i7-7700 CPU, MSI Z270 M7 Motherboard, MSI GTX 1050ti graphic card, 16Gb Memory etc... my son says I can do some serious gaming and even virtual reality. I might have to try that out. lol.

But the important thing is... All 9 cameras: 4 each, 3MP POE Dome, 4 each, 2MP POE Bullet, and 1 - 3MP POE PTZ Dome cameras all load and run with minimal delay (about 1 second), and I'm only pulling 24% of CPU! I'm totally stoked. Now I have to do some more tweaking...

Thanks again...

sam
You should remove the msi card...you want to use intel hd video for hardware acceleration...your cpu use will drop signifcantly..power consumption will drop as well.