"Guess That Dahua Model" Game

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Was browsing through Lorex's website, and stumbled upon "their" recently-announced models. Noticed how reminiscent they were to Dahua's international models--its not surprising, as cameras imported to the states are generally rebranded Dahua or Hikvision. Biggest con is its price--although its resolution is much higher *hint* Won't be surprised if see such options are stocked in your local Costco soon. Looks like these turrets especially are rapidly getting popular.

Seeing that Lorex cameras overlap with Dahua International camera models, can you all guess the model numbers of the following cameras (without visiting Lorex's website)?

All in all it really doesn't matter as these are not Starlight models. :lol: Cheers

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So, higher resolution and no starlight I assume would mean these would have both crappy night color and bw performance.
I do like the Jedi night black-out look though...but they might really heat up in the sun.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
According to Lorex, these are supposed to be their best cameras, they boast a lot about Night Vision as well (and that too Color Night Vision) on their website listing :lol: , lol
So, higher resolution and no starlight I assume would mean these would have both crappy night color and bw performance.
I do like the Jedi night black-out look though...but they might really heat up in the sun.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those are basically a variation of the Dahua OEM IPC-HDW/HFW48xx and 58xx line up, same solid cases - Lorex firmware is currently w/o IVS - perhaps cameras are missing microSD slots ( you'd need to cheack this )... during BF-cyber week 2018 Lorex had some really nice deals on those when included in kits, and for a kit set of cameras actually fairly decent option. Most consumers are looking for more MegaPixels - and thus those selling to consumers are happy to go that route.

Of course, it is better to get the IVS features and the Dahua OEM cameras.

When Lorex has their "normal" prices you're significantly better off buying the Dahua OEM versions.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The sale prices currently listed for those above mentioned models are a bit on the steep end even after applying 15% off. Night vision is as important day time coverage. Somehow, the 2MP works best for both worlds. Then again, consumers will be consumers. The biggest drawback is lack of microSD card support and IVS in the Lorex line of cameras. They could have removed the silly motion detection and set IVS on by default instead. Like you mentioned earlier, probably consumers want some form of simplicity.

However, for most members here on the forum, most of us find IVS the most simplest and effective reliable form of motion detection, :lol:

Even LaView's cameras have the IVS features enabled. Problem is the cross compatibility between Dahua and Hikvision (NVR and Camera-wise)

Anyone having a mixed camera configuration should probably be resorting to Blue Iris instead :)

Those are basically a variation of the Dahua OEM IPC-HDW/HFW48xx and 58xx line up, same solid cases - Lorex firmware is currently w/o IVS - perhaps cameras are missing microSD slots ( you'd need to cheack this )... during BF-cyber week 2018 Lorex had some really nice deals on those when included in kits, and for a kit set of cameras actually fairly decent option. Most consumers are looking for more MegaPixels - and thus those selling to consumers are happy to go that route.

Of course, it is better to get the IVS features and the Dahua OEM cameras.

When Lorex has their "normal" prices you're significantly better off buying the Dahua OEM versions.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone having a mixed camera configuration should probably be resorting to Blue Iris instead :)
Hi Arjun,

If you're using Blue Iris, then iirc the PC will be doing the compute for the IVS type features and thus the cameras listed above ( which are missing the IVS features ) would be a decent option if you found them at a good sale and were interested in the 8MP cameras instead of the 2MP starlight lines.

So far, I have not seen good prices for individual cameras directly from the Lorex website.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
This is something I'll need to convince to some of my colleagues as they had already purchased through those recently posted NeweggFlash LaView Deals and Costco Lorex 4K Deals :lol:

The only issue is that some of them no longer use desktops; they'll have to invest a little somehow in-spite of being budget-conscious.

Hi Arjun,

If you're using Blue Iris, then iirc the PC will be doing the compute for the IVS type features and thus the cameras listed above ( which are missing the IVS features ) would be a decent option if you found them at a good sale and were interested in the 8MP cameras instead of the 2MP starlight lines.

So far, I have not seen good prices for individual cameras directly from the Lorex website.