Guidance on Simple outdoor PoE setup

jimmyz

n3wb
Reaction score
So I'm looking to install a few (3-5) outdoor cameras for my new home. All of these would be mounted outdoors, likely on the overhang of my house. I live in northern Maine, so they must be able to withstand a bit of cold weather,rain,etc.

I really like the idea of "single wire installation", so I'm leaning heavily towards RJ-45/PoE cameras. Unless I am missing something that seems to be the way to go. All of these cameras will be connected to a Windows PC runnig Blue Iris. This is for general security purposes, so Infrared is important. Motorized not necessary, but they must be pretty easy to re-point. If the motorized cameras are < $25 more, that is worth it to me.

Anyone have any recommendations for a Weatherproof, PoE IP Camera that won't break the bank and work well with Blue Iris? This is my first CCTV setup, so cheaper is better. I can always upgrade later.

byee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
jimmyz,

Like yourself, I had all the same questions.

I considered the foscam until fenderman on the forum convinced me to consider the 3MP HIKVISION turret to monitor my driveway. The connector for the RJ45/POE plug is sealed connection which I thought was a nice touch.

I'm also running the Blue Iris software as the NVR. Its very simple to setup. I've got the version for my iphone as well so I can keep an eye on things at home while I traveled through Europe for 3 weeks.

In fact, I had a little incident at home while on holidays with my neighbor tossing trash in my garbage can. I asked the fellow why and he denied it until I showed him the video clip. Super clear video.

You're definitely at the right place to look for advice here. There's lots of experts on this forum!

Good luck!

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dahua HFW2100 can be had for $60

Good thing is at a later date when you get better cameras you can monitor a shed or something in complete darkness with this. So it won't go in the bin.

jimmyz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmm ok, looks like the Dahua HFW2100 is ~$93 on Amazon right now, the HIKVISION DS-2CD3135-I is roughly $105. maybe I will get one of each.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Don't bother with the HFW2100 unless you have a really dark area you want to cover. Just start with the DS-2CD3135-I (be aware it's a chinese market camera and probably plastic instead of metal).

How much more is the DS-2CD2132F-IS over there? Or if you are US, then get an OEM version from milkisbad (see other thread)

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
HFW4120S has a Sony CMOS (not the really good Exmor one). I'm not sure how good it is, might be amazing, might be rubbish.

HFW2100 is trusty and reliable is half the reason I guess!