H.265 NVR H.264 CMS

Excalibur

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a fairly new 8ch H.265 Besder NVR with 2 Besder Ipcams. It came with CMS software which is installed on a PC in the home network. I've waited till I have a reasonable grip of the systems' capability before posting so I've done quite a bit of study and poking around.

Query/problem. If I set the NVR to H.265, the CMS returns blank video. Swapping back to H.264 restores video.

The NVR has "H.265 NVR" on its' splash screen while the CMS has "H.264 DVR".

Could the CMS be incompatible with H.265? Yet this is software that came with the NVR.

Please comment, thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a fairly new 8ch H.265 Besder NVR with 2 Besder Ipcams. It came with CMS software which is installed on a PC in the home network. I've waited till I have a reasonable grip of the systems' capability before posting so I've done quite a bit of study and poking around.

Query/problem. If I set the NVR to H.265, the CMS returns blank video. Swapping back to H.264 restores video.

The NVR has "H.265 NVR" on its' splash screen while the CMS has "H.264 DVR".

Could the CMS be incompatible with H.265? Yet this is software that came with the NVR.

Please comment, thanks.
yes, besder is total trash...dont be surprised that the cms software they provided does not support h.265...
avoid junk like this in the future.

Excalibur

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts.

As I understand it H.264 and H.265 are video compression standards designed to boost streaming. The latter is the newer and takes up less HDD space IIRC.
I'm assuming that if I set the NVR to H.264 compression it will record in that mode, the downside being the extra HDD space required. Is there an alternative CMS?
In time I want to extend the video cable and mouse so I can use a dedicated monitor. I've ordered the parts but they are a month away.
What can I try in the meantime? Perhaps request CMS update? Or is there some setting I'm missing?

Thanks.
upload_2018-9-1_11-23-17.png

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I gave up on my generic NVR and set everything back to h.264

Excalibur

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for joining in. Good to know you dropped H.265

When my cable parts turn up, I'll retry H.265. It seems like there's a lot to like about it. Given that it's new tech it may be that not everything is up to speed with it yet.

BTW, I've searched high and low through the CMS program. There's no mention of version. No inbuilt update facility. There's a few quirky things about CMS but for all intents and purposes it works well enough. Not the polished software you'd expect or hope to get with more expensive systems though.

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The last version I installed would not digitaly zoom and still didn't do well with H.255 playback.

Excalibur

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks. The situation here is it's much more convenient to use CMS rather than a monitor off the NVR. Of course that will all change when the cables get here however it would be good to have access from elsewhere on the network.
What I've noticed is there's more control via monitor off the NVR. Hardly surprising I suppose.

BTW, is that CMS you installed available as a download anywhere? Would like to try it. At least it works with H.265 with limitations.

When the monitor cables arrive I plan to have a proper sit down and methodically work through what the NVR can do. There's a lot to learn and typically multiple short sessions work better so I don't suffer information overload, haha.

Thanks..