h.265+ vs h.265 vs. h.264

erotavlas

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering which setting is recommended to use.. I have an option in the menu that says 'enable h.265+',but I'm not sure if I should enable it. I read that the h.265+ is supposed to save the most bandwidth and storage. And h.264 uses the most. With h.265 somewhere in between.

I currently have all four of my 4MP cameras set to h.264 and on the 1tb drive that the NVR came with, I get about 1 week retention.

However I was wondering if there are any consequences to using it. For example what heppens when you export video, will you still be able to export as avi and mp4 and will those videos be playable on other devices.

Will I also get more days retention?

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You are correct, H.265+ will save bandwidth & HD space, but it does not play nice with BI.
Recommend going to H.265, and you will see a noticeable change in bandwidth & system resources.
No change in exported video, just a more efficient codec.

erotavlas

n3wb
Reaction score
You are correct, H.265+ will save bandwidth & HD space, but it does not play nice with BI.
Recommend going to H.265, and you will see a noticeable change in bandwidth & system resources.
No change in exported video, just a more efficient codec.
Ok thank you, but if I don't use Blue Iris (assuming that's what you meant by BI) then I should be fine with h.265+?

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Confirm that H.265+ works with whatever software/hardware devices you are using.
If you're recording direct to disk, should be OK.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok thank you, but if I don't use Blue Iris (assuming that's what you meant by BI) then I should be fine with h.265+?

+ can cause problems even with a hik nvr. Some users report stuttering or other issues.

Andrien

n3wb
Reaction score
A bit stuttering here and there, but if your Internet has slow upstream it is very good from bandwidth perspective. I could stream 4 2k stream over 2mbps at 25fps with acceptable lag (not free lag tho).
One big disadvantage of h265+ is high cpu usage as no build in encoder support it afaik.