H265-BI-Amcrest Cam

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys. I'm having trouble figuring out how to get my camera to run with the H265 codec. Ive added screenshots of all the places I've have looked for information and info about my machine. Tried to be thorough. I read someplace that intel + VPP was the way to go if using newer I am using BI Release 5.2.9.23 x64 (7-6-2020). Looking for some clues or if its even possible. Using UI3's stats for nerds to confirm the codec being used. If you need any more info just let me know I'm all over these settings trying to figure this out. Having l lot of fun doing it as well.
As always thanks so much for this site and all your help.

Amcrest Camera
IP8M-2496EB

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The screen shot that shows H264 is showing what UI3 is using from the BI server. Check from the BI console. Click on the graph with the jagged arrow on the upper left of the screen, then click on the cameras tab. That will show all the statistics for the camera in BI. When all else fails, use the Help feature in BI.

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue Iris Status page.jpg
I don't see anything on the camera status page about H.265. I also was looking around in the help file and couldn't find anything in there yet. Still searching around though.

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I found this in the help file:

5.2.2 - March 20, 2020
Video components were updated and the Intel hardware decoding interface was redesigned
and recoded in an attempt to bring some missing features online such as H.265 decoding
and H.264 encoding. The 64-bit version is required for all hardware acceleration, and you
may need to now update your Nvidia drivers if you were using this. New hardware
decoding options include DXVA2 and D3D11VA, but these may still be in “beta.”
The BlueIrisService.exe was compiled for 64-bit and now uses updated methods to stop the
running BlueIris.exe without resorting to a force-close.

Still not clear on how to get H.265 active over the H.264

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
BI can only process what the camera sends it. It cannot change the encoding stream used by the camera. So, if the camera is set to 265 that's what BI will use. From what I see you're using Intel VPP for hardware acceleration. That assumes you have a system with onboard Intel graphics capability. You don't mention the basic hardware configuration of the BI machine and I'm assuming that it is capable of hardware acceleration.

Another comment is that 30FPS is way too high unless you're doing a Hollywierd production. 15FPS is plenty. The next thing is the iframe interval is way too low. Set the iframe interval at the same number as the frame rate, IE 15FPS and an iframe of 15.

You don't need to hide the IP addresses of cameras on you own network. Without the IP of your router, they are meaningless.

Once again, Stats for Nerds is showing what your local machine is seeing from the BI web server and has absolutely nothing to do with what the camera(s) are sending to BI.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What make you think it is not running H.265
You are not using hardware acceleration on all but one of your cameras.
Some of the intel GPU will only process selected frame sizes, check the specs on your processor.
You have enabled overlays check. this causes the cameras to be re-encoded. WHY ?This wastes CPU time.
Only record with an maximum FPS of 15 and and Iframe of 15.
============================
Private ip addresses. Local IP addresses. These addresses are NOT used by the internet. They are for your local home/business network.
10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

there is no reason to redact local ip addresses when posting.