H265 support?

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did a quick search, couldn't find mention. Just wondering if anyone has heard if it's coming?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Did a quick search, couldn't find mention. Just wondering if anyone has heard if it's coming?
You should email the developer..the more folks that ask for it, the quicker it will be implemented. There are not many h265 cameras so I doubt its high up on the list..dont know how much work it would take to implement it...

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Will do, thanks fenderman!

I have 2 so far, and would love to benefit from the bandwidth savings...

IpCamManCf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I sent a message to the support address and Ken responded back with "this is on theroadmap for the near-term" so it may not be much longer before being implemented.

dougri

n3wb
Reaction score
I sent a message to the support address and Ken responded back with "this is on theroadmap for the near-term" so it may not be much longer before being implemented.
Anyone heard any news on this front? While the available processors/systems are limiting in many regards, the Intel Kaby Lake processors (i3-7100u, i5-7200u, i7-7500u) support hardware encode/decode of 10-bit h265 streams. Might make a nice (albeit expensive) small, low-power BI solution for a small home system.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone heard any news on this front? While the available processors/systems are limiting in many regards, the Intel Kaby Lake processors (i3-7100u, i5-7200u, i7-7500u) support hardware encode/decode of 10-bit h265 streams. Might make a nice (albeit expensive) small, low-power BI solution for a small home system.
You can email support and ask...skylake also supports 265...those low power processors are not a good idea for BI....modern processors are very efficient.

dougri

n3wb
Reaction score
FWIW, got a reply back from support:
"H.265 support is something on the development list, and should be coming soon, but there is no set date at this time."

sounds like it's in the works, but not immediately pending.

newitguy

n3wb
Reaction score
but your h.265 cameras can switch to h.264 in the meantime; right?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, Ive never seen an h265 only camera.. many still support MJPEG still, so you can expect to maintain that compatibility for a good long time to come.

new formats take time; especially HD formats as they pretty much require hardware acceleration with the high levels of compression used.. as that hardware becomes more ubiquitous then the video will start coming in.. my new AndroidTV supports h265 4k HDR, im sure many tablets/phones will soon.. its becoming standard on the current generation.

my h265 cameras support h265 on main stream and h264 on substream (or vice versa), so you could record it even if you cant remotely display it in real time.. so we do have that going for those of us whom dont buy new phones/tablets/computers every year.

Last edited by a moderator: