HAC-HFW1200R-VF-IRE6 vs IPC-HFW4431R-Z

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The more I read and watch youtubes with an agenda, the more difficult it gets for me to make the right decision, so maybe I should stop reading and just place an order. lol

I will not order the Starlight cameras, since that is over my budget, so it is either HAC-HFW1200R-VF-IRE6 or IPC-HFW4431R-Z.

I have now found good prices for both cameras where the 4MP IP is a $10 premium over the 2MP HDCVI

My cameras will be mounted outside, but will only view the inside of my perimeter.

So I have a few more questions.

1. Is picture quality of HDCVI comparable with IP? I understand that 4MP will give a better picture than 2MP during the day, but if both were same resolution, would there be a difference in picture quality.

2. Will a video balun cause picture quality loss.

3. Taken in account that the choice is only between these 2 cameras, and knowing that the IP camera is $10 ( ~20% ) more than the HDCVI, which would be your choice?

4. I have also found
HAC-HFW2221R-Z-IRE6 at a premium of $30 over the HAC-HFW1200R-VF-IRE6, and that is really the upper limit of what I want to spend, so is the later worth the premium $30 over the former?

so the prices are 60 -70 and $90 for the respective cameras.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
1- yes- virtually identical given comparing similar camera models. I'd be willing to bet I could show you two and you would not be able to tell the difference. Others here who install many more cameras than I have shown CVI camera footage samples and most people have not known they were CVI... until told ;)

2- I suppose someone will say that it's possible, but not my experience at all.

3- between the two, I'd probably try the Chinese 4MP as it has:1) better low light performance by spec and 2)true WDR and 3) Motorized auto-focus - assuming these are true, 3 improvements over the 1200R

I have the 2221R-Z and it is a great camera- much better than the 1200 series and same enhanced features as the 4MP you are looking at.

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1- yes- virtually identical given comparing similar camera models. I'd be willing to bet I could show you two and you would not be able to tell the difference. Others here who install many more cameras than I have shown CVI camera footage samples and most people have not known they were CVI... until told ;)

2- I suppose someone will say that it's possible, but not my experience at all.

3- between the two, I'd probably try the Chinese 4MP as it has:1) better low light performance by spec and 2)true WDR and 3) Motorized auto-focus - assuming these are true, 3 improvements over the 1200R

I have the 2221R-Z and it is a great camera- much better than the 1200 series and same enhanced features as the 4MP you are looking at.
Where did you see that the Chinese 4MP has true WDR?

In the spec from the seller it says DWDR and the same is listed for the 1200R, only the 2221R-Z seems to have true DWR

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Could be a bad assumption on my part? The AliEx listing just says WDR and I think i saw and Amazon and Ebay listing showing 120 DB WDR so assumed it was true WDR, but lower in the listing says DWDR, so I could be wrong.

DWDR in my experience does not work nearly as well...

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Could be a bad assumption on my part? The AliEx listing just says WDR and I think i saw and Amazon and Ebay listing showing 120 DB WDR so assumed it was true WDR, but lower in the listing says DWDR, so I could be wrong.

DWDR in my experience does not work nearly as well...
I saw your pictures from the 2221R-Z, so guess I'm gonna send the 2221R-Z seller an offer, at least he listed he was open to offers.

You have video of that camera posted somewhere?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a couple I think, when I get home tonight I'll post a couple of links/samples

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's a few clips from two different HAC-HFW2221R-Z-IRE6 cameras

(don't forget to switch to 1080p)

The only time we've seen sun in a week! Approx 30ft to the dock, 55ft to the opposite bank

extra points if you can spot the gator

very overcast - 20ft to the cats, another 60ft to the rear fenceline

Last edited:

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's a few clips from two different HAC-HFW2221R-Z-IRE6 cameras

(don't forget to switch to 1080p)

The only time we've seen sun in a week! Approx 30ft to the dock, 55ft to the opposite bank

extra points if you can spot the gator

very overcast - 20ft to the cats, another 60ft to the rear fenceline
Thanks mate great videos, I think the gator had his reflectors on lol.

In the last video at what is the height and focal length of the camera, and what is the closest point the camera sees?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The camera in the last video is actually the 7mm-22mm version of the 2221
It is mounted at 8ft under an eve of the roofline. It is at 0 zoom or about 7mm and is 24ft from the cathouse. The tree closest is at approx 12ft or 1/2 way between the camera and the cathouse.

The camera looking over the dock is a 2.8-12mm model and is also zoomed close to 0, maybe 3-4mm and the dock is 30 ft from the camera

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The camera in the last video is actually the 7mm-22mm version of the 2221
It is mounted at 8ft under an eve of the roofline. It is at 0 zoom or about 7mm and is 24ft from the cathouse. The tree closest is at approx 12ft or 1/2 way between the camera and the cathouse.

The camera looking over the dock is a 2.8-12mm model and is also zoomed close to 0, maybe 3-4mm and the dock is 30 ft from the camera
You never sleep or what? You were online before I went to bed, and now you still are lol.

In the camera looking over the dock, the vegetation in the bottom left corner, how far in front of the camera that would be?

Looks like a nice area where you live

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ha! @dayjob has been rather quiet and boring lately, and the rain everyday for the last 10 days has prevented me from going to the gun range, so I've been on here a lot.:D

Florida has lots of water, vegetation, and Gators!

That boston fern is 8-10 ft to the left of the camera and 2-3 ft in front of it. Camera again at 8ft high

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ha! @dayjob has been rather quiet and boring lately, and the rain everyday for the last 10 days has prevented me from going to the gun range, so I've been on here a lot.:D

Florida has lots of water, vegetation, and Gators!

That boston fern is 8-10 ft to the left of the camera and 2-3 ft in front of it. Camera again at 8ft high
Thanks, excellent information that enable me to calculate the best location for my cameras.

Now get to bed before I start asking more stupid questions :lol:

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I finally got the HAC-HFW2221RP-Z-IRE6 for 65 Euro (~72USD ) include shipping from a European Ebay seller with a close to 99.5% positive feedback score.

Ordered 6 pieces to get that price