Hack false alert?

fullboogie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Old router died, so I bought a Netgear R7800 - a little better than the R6400 that it replaced. I have my new R7800 set up to send me logs via email (gmail) every Monday at 10:00 a.m. as sort of an experiment. In order to set it up I had to input my gmail login credentials into the router. At the exact date and time for the last two weeks, I am getting a Google alert for an attempted unauthorized login attempt with an IP address of XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Because these alerts only occur on the date and time I have set up to email the logs, I'm pretty sure it's my router's attempt to do so. But what I don't understand - and bear with the newbie question - is that this IP address does not correspond to anything on my network. My AT&T modem, in bridge mode, is at 192.168.1.254. Per my Netgear router's admin page, my domain name server is at 192.168.1.254, the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, and IP address is 10.0.0.1. I'm really having trouble understanding why a request from my router to Gmail would have an IP address of XXXXXXXXXXXX. Can anyone shed some light on what I am missing? I don't want to "OK" the IP address unless I'm sure. Thank you!

Here is what happens when I ping XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:

Last edited by a moderator: