Hack required - how to unscrew screw when allan key doesn't grip

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I need to replace a camera that has died. Does anyone have a hack in how to unscrew a screw when the supplied allan key doesn't grip.20240329_163248.jpg

elvisimprsntr

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
1. Can't tell from the picture, but it looks like a Torx, not an Allen.

2. Liquid wrench

3. I've used these to remove stripped or rusted screw heads.

4. My guess is it's a stainless steel screw into an aluminum housing. Anti-Seize might help next time.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry, I've mixed up the terminology, not the tools. I should have said, the supplied 'thingy bob' (torx if that's what it's called) does not grip the thread.
Unlikely but I'm wondering if the wrong torx was supplied?. There are 2 types, the anti-tamper tool has a small dimple in the centre.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unlikely but I'm wondering if the wrong torx was supplied?. There are 2 types, the anti-tamper tool has a small dimple in the centre.
It's the right tool, as I used it for another camera, same model. Having said that, the first one I tried the end of the tool came off, lodged in the thread. Had to use a magnet to get it out.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I appreciate the links to Home Depot, but as an aside, Home Depot block Australian visitors to their site. Firing up the vpn server gets me there, but regardless, I can figure out the products that you're posting.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you have a star bit set, try one of those that fits the screw and see if it will have a better grip for it.

star bit set.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I need to replace a camera that has died. Does anyone have a hack in how to unscrew a screw when the supplied allan key doesn't grip.View attachment 190881
WD 40 .. let it soak ( or other penetrating oil ) .. and a good Torx screw driver, manual .. do not use a power tool here, that will get you often in trouble

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The good news is now you have a legitimate reason for your wife for buying another new camera to replace the dead one.;)