Had the Public network curse hit, can't change back to private!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm struggling with trying to change the network back to private.
The BI system I manage that is located 600 miles from me, started having no signal issues' this morning.
I rebooted the computer, but no joy.
I found that the ethernet adapter has been set to public magically.
I can't see the settings to change it back to private.
Win 11 pro, that hasn't had Win11 updated since September of 2022.
When I go to Network and Internet, and then to properties, the settings are not there to change to private.
I'm doing this via Teamviewer, so I'm cautious of what I change so as to not cut off my access.
See screen caps.

screenshot1.png screenshot2.png

I've been all over google, and haven't found similar. Could very well be I'm having a senior dumbass moment. I appreciate any suggestions you may have. :)

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you able to get to Network&internet, and properties under network status?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
And no joy clicking on properties I presume, never mind, I just read your post again

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been avoiding W11, but have had this happen before on W8 and W10.

Here's an article that covers several ways to change this (some require a reboot). As @bp2008 suggested in another thread I believe you can also set a firewall rule to allow certain things if it gets changed to public.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's showing screenshot2, but there is no settings there to change from public to private or vise versa.
What if you scroll? That setting is usually near the top and it appears you've scrolled down that settings pane.

Just try one other the other methods using PowerShell (Admin) or gpedit.msc or secpol.msc

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's scrolled one line, the only thing that is not visible in that screen shot is "Unidentified Network", just above the "authentication" line.

screenshot3.png

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's scrolled one line, the only thing that is not visible in that screen shot is "Unidentified Network", just above the "authentication" line.

View attachment 174232
That one line made a big difference in understanding your problem ;)

You might fair better using the router's DHCP reservation system than a static IP.

Are you using a pro or home version of windows?
If W11 Pro, open secpol.msc find "Network List Manager Policies" double click on unidentified networks and set it to private. click ok, reboot.

If W11 Home, you can probably do it via the registry or find instructions to enable secpol
EDIT: here's a reg file that may work for W11 Home users (reboot required):

Attachments

Last edited:

Coltect

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Quite often you can go into file explorer and type \\192.168.0.20 or \\some-pc-name in the address bar and windows will prompt if you want to change this network to a Private network.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score

View attachment 174232
Seeing the "Unidentified network" rings a bell with me, I had some win 10 machines that lost the controls for public/ private option. I ended up disabling the adapters and re-enabling them, That fixed both of them. Not sure If that is a option If you are remoting in.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Seeing the "Unidentified network" rings a bell with me, I had some win 10 machines that lost the controls for public/ private option. I ended up disabling the adapters and re-enabling them, That fixed both of them. Not sure If that is a option If you are remoting in.
Running the network troubleshooter or otherwise scripting that would be necessarily remotely and could still be risky. You can find guides like this that have some other procedures you can try: How to fix Unidentified Network in Windows 11/10
However in this case, what's the point. The network this PC is connected to isn't changing and issues when statically assigning IPs are common. Just change unidentified networks in secpol, you could even change identifying networks to private in this case.

Last edited:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Running the network troubleshooter or otherwise scripting that would be necessarily remotely and could still be risky. You can find guides like this that have some other procedures you can try: How to fix Unidentified Network in Windows 11/10
However in this case, what's the point. The network this PC is connected to isn't changing and issues when statically assigning IPs are common. Just change unidentified networks in secpol, you could even change identifying networks to private in this case.
In My case I was not changing anything on the network, It changed the state of the network Interface from Unidentifiable to what is was suppose to be thus had the controls back, That was my point The controls were not present when the Interface said "Unidentifiable"

OakleyFreak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You didn't change print sharing or file sharing did you?