Had the Public network curse hit, can't change back to private!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In My case I was not changing anything on the network, It changed the state of the network Interface from Unidentifiable to what is was suppose to be thus had the controls back, That was my point The controls were not present when the Interface said "Unidentifiable"
Hence the secpol setting that makes unidentified networks private.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All right, using the "secpol" tool I've gotten the network back to private and it is no longer showing as unknown. All cameras back on line sort of.
But, all four of the cameras go to "no signal" after about 20 seconds of live video, first I can see the time stamp stop updating, then BI pc cpu % drops to zero, then a few seconds later, the "no signal" happens. But almost immediately the live picture comes back online, then it's rinse and repeat. In the past hour of running, it's lost signal 212 times.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Edit, watching any of the cameras with their webgui, I see the same dropout

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All right, using the "secpol" tool I've gotten the network back to private and it is no longer showing as unknown. All cameras back on line sort of.
But, all four of the cameras go to "no signal" after about 20 seconds of live video, first I can see the time stamp stop updating, then BI pc cpu % drops to zero, then a few seconds later, the "no signal" happens. But almost immediately the live picture comes back online, then it's rinse and repeat. In the past hour of running, it's lost signal 212 times.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Edit, watching any of the cameras with their webgui, I see the same dropout
Can you or someone local reboot the router and/or switch(es)?
Can you make a simple diagram of the network topology?

My guesses would be the router, switch, a bad cable, or a bad NIC. Any recent lightning? A reboot is the simplest thing to try.

Experiment a bit by pinging various devices on the network even localhost using either continuous (-t (ctrl-c to stop)) or a count (-n 1000 to ping 1000 times). You could also try -L 4096 to send larger ping packets. crtl-c to stop if needed, see if you get any packet loss when pinging various devices.

So for example p try pinging the router eg. "ping 192.168.1.1 -n 1000 -L 2048". Then try that for something else on the network, being mindful of the topology. You'll need to send several minutes (even 10-20 minutes on an intermittent issue) worth of pings so get useful results.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks @tangent I will give that a try.
Cameras plug into POE switch.
Bi computer plugs into same POE switch.
Cox router plugs into same POE switch.
Smartthings hub plugs into same POE switch.

Last edited:

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
You have any hair left looney? I don't have much but I would be pulling out what I have, what a mess this has been.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since it's 600 miles away and they aren't always easy to source locally, bring a spare PoE switch for testing or replacement.
If someone on site can power cycle all the network infrastructure, it might save you a trip.

Bad caps, lightning, and overheating are the main things that have killed switches for me.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm about 600 miles from you looney, if it was in my direction I would go there for you, I'm in the Dallas area.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok gang, I finally managed to get into the router and restart it. That seems to have solved the issue.
So as usual it was Cox's fault once again. :)
Even tho none of the cameras run through the router, so I assume this was possibly a DNS issue?
Thanks to @tangent for his assistance. And for everyone else's suggestions. :headbang: :iloveipct:

Prior to the router restart, the pinging test's to different items on the local network showed exactly the same as I was seeing with the cameras. Dropping on a very regular basis, right on cue, over and over again.
I will learn that when problems on that network exist, it's most likely Cox's fault. :)
Over the past 3 yrs, they have caused me heartburn several times.
I appreciate the assistance.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok gang, I finally managed to get into the router and restart it. That seems to have solved the issue.
Even tho none of the cameras run through the router, so I assume this was possibly a DNS issue?
Thanks to @tangent for his assistance. And for everyone else's suggestions. :headbang: :iloveipct:

Prior to the router restart, the pinging test's to different items on the local network showed exactly the same as I was seeing with the cameras. Dropping on a very regular basis, right on cue, over and over again.
I will learn that when problems on that network exist, it's most likely Cox's fault. :)
It's good to hear you got it fixed and thanks for posting your solution in case anybody else runs into your situation.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Good to hear it, @looney2ns ...and if you're like me, you won't worry about that new gray hair...it'll fall out soon enough! :lmao:

lenz_freaker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

If you run into this enough i would probably looking at putting a smart plug of some sort on that router so you could trigger your own reboot of the cox router. Hopefully it would be in a minimal working state to be able to trigger. Id also ditch the cox router as well or least put it in bridge mode (or whatever they use there) and put a small pfsense/opensense/choose your flavor firewall (hell even an small asus cheapo router) just so their sh*t doesnt mess with your sh*t. Id even be more willing to deal with a double nat scenario vs using an isp provided router if it would still provide services i needed.

I've been playing with these for other automation devices: "yolink". Its not wifi based and has hardwired ethernet hub (wifi would get borked probably when cox router has issues...at least more likely). They make some smart plugs but i havent used one yet but that would be my first choice due to the hardwired hub. The other devices ive been playing with have been solid so far. Just leave that hub on dhcp so no matter what firmware push cox does it should at least boot up and connect if they screw up the zone or something.

Smart plug: Hub:
There are other packages that have the hub for free pretty much but i dont see one with just a smart plug....

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.