Hail Mary for an older DaHua NVR5216-16P-4KS2

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Before I start salvaging this old NVR for parts I just thought I'd ask if anyone has any other suggestions on how to fix it. The problem it developed is that it will not save ANYTHING. It's like the EEPROM, or whatever is used to save settings, is dead. When I hook it up to a monitor and turn it on, I eventually get the first time setup. I can go through all the steps of entering passwords, security questions, network config, etc. and apply/save all of it. I can add cameras, etc and watch them on the monitor. However, any reboot and it is all gone. Upon reboot I am greeted with the initialization routine again. It is running old firmware (V 3.100 something), and I have tried a couple of times to upgrade. It always fails.

So does anyone have any (constructive please) suggestions on how to fix it? If I could get it running again, it could make a good backup recorder.

Thanks,

Wayne

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
i had a camera once that exhibited the same symptoms. turned out to be the 'reset' button that had got stuck on.
if the unit has such a button, make sure it's not stuck. but yeah, make sure that tiny button battery has sufficient voltage to maintain settings...

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Battery??? Geez, I have looked at that thing a thousand times and it never registered. I'm sure the thing is probably toast, but any tips on how to get that little shi . . . .I mean thing out? Looks to be soldered in.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK, I took the board out and de-soldered the battery connections out, but not before I blew up the battery itself. So now the question is, where do I find a replacement that has the tin board connectors soldered on? It's a CR-1220 So I might be able to make-shift something, but it would be nice to have an original.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Search for "CR-1220 solder" on ebay. Doesn't look like any of them are stocked in USA. Looks like digi-key also has them. Act fast: only 127,258 left! Also try "1220/hfn" in a search engine. Looks like there are different lead configurations. Hopefully one of them is the one you need.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Search for "CR-1220 solder" on ebay. Doesn't look like any of them are stocked in USA. Looks like digi-key also has them. Act fast: only 127,258 left! Also try "1220/hfn" in a search engine. Looks like there are different lead configurations. Hopefully one of them is the one you need.
Thanks for that info. I found some and have them on order now.

Wayne

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As you found while removing the battery, heat is a killer. Going in should be quicker, but still be careful regarding heat accumulation.

Have the board cleaned of old solder. Use a hot iron and work fast. Hold, clamp, or have someone hold, a decent amount of metal mass against the battery while you solder and for a period afterwards. You will significantly reduce the likelihood of cooking the cell. Allow the first side to totally cool before working on the second.

Cheers, Steve

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As you found while removing the battery, heat is a killer. Going in should be quicker, but still be careful regarding heat accumulation.

Have the board cleaned of old solder. Use a hot iron and work fast. Hold, clamp, or have someone hold, a decent amount of metal mass against the battery while you solder and for a period afterwards. You will significantly reduce the likelihood of cooking the cell. Allow the first side to totally cool before working on the second.

Cheers, Steve
Thanks Steve. I have also ordered a couple of CR1022 sockets that look like they might fit. If they don't fit, I'll definitely be looking for some sort of heat sinking material that isn't also conductive.

Wayne

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, I got the new battery on the board and it's reading 3.2V, but still no joy. It still will not retain any settings. Except network settings. The old name I gave it, and the ip address from years ago it remembers, but not the new one I put in. I guess it's toast.

One question - There are two LEDs on the board. One is a green one near the edge, but there is a bright red one right in the middle labelled LED1. Anyone know what that is for??

Last edited:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure what those are but it would be interesting to have one of our digital coroners do a autopsy on it, @alastairstevenson comes to mind. He might even be able to blow it out and get it working.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is another little oddity. The box has four blue LEDs on the front. STATUS, HDD, NET, Power. There are two 1TB drives inside. After going through the initialization, I can use the interface to look at their status, format them. etc. But the HDD LED on the front is NOT on. What IS on in the NET light, even when it is not connected to the network.

Then I also got to thinking (ouch ouch). Whenever I go through the initialization setup and come across a place where I need to do an "APPLY", I would click on the button but nothing would happen. No response at all, not even a blink from the button. I guess that should be a tip-off.