Hall of shame

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Whatcha talkin' about Willis?
There's a soffit right here:
1711668241868.png
But I agree with you...This does belong in the hall of shame...No gutter guards!!! Just look at all those leaves:
1711668329113.png

....All kidding aside, what is the worst thing about the installation isn't the camera or what I've posted above, it's right here:
1711669097276.png
All that rain water dumping between the gutter and the roof will cause some serious rot.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I hope that zip tie is UV rated LOL

View attachment 191098
I had some solar panel lights tied up to the fence in the backyard around 2018 with no idea about UV rated vs non uv rated. The white color zip ties I used all changed to dull yellow color and brittle when I touch it after around 1.5-2 years. At the time I thought it was just the way it is with zip tie. :oops:

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
typical failure from lack of proper joist attachments. Band still attached to house, but joists pulled away. insufficient & improper hardware attachment. Deck very well could have had a hot tub on it, or too many people. It happens. People don't think about water weighs 8.3 lb/gal, so a little 200 gal hot tub weighs over 1660 lbs in water alone, not incl the tub or people. Girder double is too small, and on two 4x4 posts (span too long).. . Used to see stuff like that, but in our area, they really cracked down on deck inspections about 20 yrs ago after some serious accidents and fatalities. Deck design and inspections now a very technical and expensive process in my area, but we rarely see that kind of failures now.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As most of us know, ALL the wall cabinet fasteners are important and ideally must be anchored into studs. But between the top and bottom fasteners, the top fasteners are the most important and bear the brunt of the sheer-type load. They're the ones that appear to have been pulled out.

Hopefully somebody learned an important lesson here. :cool:

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As most of us know, ALL the wall cabinet fasteners are important and ideally must be anchored into studs. But between the top and bottom fasteners, the top fasteners are the most important and bear the brunt of the sheer-type load. They're the ones that appear to have been pulled out.

Hopefully somebody learned an important lesson here. :cool:
Top fasteners see combined loading, shear and pullout. Failure appears to be from them pulling out, as the bottom fasteners appear to be still attached.
Wouldn't be surprised if they used nails instead of screws.