Hall of shame

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
The narrator had it wrong with the last part of the video where the guy was doing pushups. He was just getting his joints warmed up so that he could run as fast as he could as soon as he got paid for that job! As a homeowner, you are never going to see him again!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Even though I know little about plumbing (even after owning/maintaining 4 homes in 50 years), it actually seems like a good job: sanitary tee's, P-trap with cleanout and over toward the dishwasher on the left of that panel, that thing with the red cap? It's an air admittance valve for what is likely an island with no access to a wall to run the vent to the roof. A plumber in Santa Clara, CA knew about it when I moved sink and dishwasher from a wall to an island with a kitchen remodel. It passed inspection and it worked great for the 12 years I was in that house. Fast drainage and no smells even though the house was pretty tight.

Reaction score
Even though I know little about plumbing (even after owning/maintaining 4 homes in 50 years), it actually seems like a good job: sanitary tee's, P-trap with cleanout and over toward the dishwasher on the left of that panel, that thing with the red cap? It's an air admittance valve for what is likely an island with no access to a wall to run the vent to the roof. A plumber in Santa Clara, CA knew about it when I moved sink and dishwasher from a wall to an island with a kitchen remodel. It passed inspection and it worked great for the 12 years I was in that house. Fast drainage and no smells even though the house was pretty tight.
I know very little about plumbing. I can replace it, add to it (dangerously) and make it stop leaking, and add in certain 'inline' devices, but that's it. My Dad could do it all, me, just a small fraction of it. 'Air Admittance Valve' blew me away...never even knew it existed.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know very little about plumbing. I can replace it, add to it (dangerously) and make it stop leaking, and add in certain 'inline' devices, but that's it. My Dad could do it all, me, just a small fraction of it. 'Air Admittance Valve' blew me away...never even knew it existed.
It's possible that 30 years ago a ready-made device did not. IIRC, the city's plumbing inspector, a former 'master plumber' with his own business for a long, long time (he was in his late 60's) collaborated with my contractor on the design which again, if memory serves me correctly, was made up of some conventional DWV (Drain Waste Vent) fittings (elbows, tees, etc.) of specific lengths, order and orientation....and it worked!

Reaction score
It's possible that 30 years ago a ready-made device did not. IIRC, the city's plumbing inspector, a former 'master plumber' with his own business for a long, long time (he was in his late 60's) collaborated with my contractor on the design which again, if memory serves me correctly, was made up of some conventional DWV (Drain Waste Vent) fittings (elbows, tees, etc.) of specific lengths, order and orientation....and it worked!
They call them "Studer vents" and I have one beneath my sink with the dishwasher connection.