Hall of shame

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
No idea if this is true, but an installer two years ago told me that refrigerant theft was rampant.
I would have assumed the copper tubing. Refrigerant seems a bit slow to steal and I can't imagine it's that expensive unless there was shortage.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
there about 9 pounds of refrigerant in a single 3 ton unit....Depending on the type you could be looking at 500 to over 1k.
Whoa. $500 to $1k for 9 pounds of refrigerant!? I bought 25 lbs of R410A for about $125 a few months ago. Yes, in Cuba but stuff is usually more expensive in Cuba than outside.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Whoa. $500 to $1k for 9 pounds of refrigerant!? I bought 25 lbs of R410A for about $125 a few months ago.
Looks like you found something that's cheaper in Cuba. I didn't do an exhaustive search, but on this one site 25 lbs. of 410A is $399.
R-410A REFRIGERANT 25 LBS - Ability Refrigerants

By the pound:
410A: $16
22: $42.50
134A: $12.50
32: $12 (from a european site R32 )

R22 is obviously the worst, probably because my heat pump uses R22. I'm wondering if there's a parallel with USA prescription costs, with refrigerant costing less everywhere else?

Reaction score
I would have assumed the copper tubing. Refrigerant seems a bit slow to steal and I can't imagine it's that expensive unless there was shortage.
It's crazy :) As I understand it, there is a huge black market for the older type of refrigerant aka Freon. If you have an older system that is working fine except the refrigerant has leaked out then you either find a source for older refrigerant or you install a new system. I checked my invoice for a new installation two years ago and they charged $800 to recycle/dispose of the Freon. I personally know of two homes in Tallahassee that had Freon stolen from condenser units.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
The Freon LIE originates with Al Gore and DuPont. The expiration on DuPont's R12 patent was the motivation.
With DuPont R134 waiting in the wings, it was time to buy some Political clout.
With the phony "Ozone Hole" horseshit sponsored by DuPont and legislation championed by
good ole Al, here we are!

Here is some of the funniest part of all this crap. We have been told the hole is closed but,
we were told upon the outlaw of Freon, it would take scores of years for the Freon to float up to the stratosphere.
Al Gore for all of those fans that do not know, was President Clinton's bag-man. He went to Southern California for
a bag full of cash from China.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Freon LIE originates with Al Gore and DuPont. The expiration on DuPont's R12 patent was the motivation.
With DuPont R134 waiting in the wings, it was time to buy some Political clout.
With the phony "Ozone Hole" horseshit sponsored by DuPont and legislation championed by
good ole Al, here we are!

Here is some of the funniest part of all this crap. We have been told the hole is closed but,
we were told upon the outlaw of Freon, it would take scores of years for the Freon to float up to the stratosphere.
Al Gore for all of those fans that do not know, was President Clinton's bag-man. He went to Southern California for
a bag full of cash from China.
I was younger and not paying as much attention at the time. But, it wouldn't surprise me that money governed these decisions. They're still recommending Covid vaccines for 6 months and up. The only explanation is the money the pharmaceutical industries make off of it because there is no other explanation I've heard that makes sense.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was younger and not paying as much attention at the time. But, it wouldn't surprise me that money governed these decisions. They're still recommending Covid vaccines for 6 months and up. The only explanation is the money the pharmaceutical industries make off of it because there is no other explanation I've heard that makes sense.
insane to be recommending these Covid vaccines for the young ..

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
MMmmmm.... the wall covering is food rated panel (FRP). All those sanitary fasteners hanging out in a kitchen somewhere