Hard Drive recommendations?

pacasey

n3wb
Reaction score

Just bought Hikvision NVR (DS-7716NI-SP/16)

For Home use 16 cams and probably just have cameras recording with motion.

Hard drive prices have come down quite a bit so looking at 3TB ... believe that should be more than enough for my needs? 4TB not much more ... so suggestions there also if better choice?

What drives are recommended for NVR? Use same criteria to evaluate drives as you would if buying for a desktop computer?

Thanks, Patrick

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If I were you I would consider a Western Digital Purple drive. These are built specifically for the needs of video surveillance systems. Though a Red drive (built for NAS storage) would probably be an excellent choice too.

For that matter, just about any hard drive will probably be fine if your motion recording isn't often triggering for all the cameras at once.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Agree with BP, WD claims the purple is designed to run 24/7 for the purpose of CCTV. Now on another note, my distributor has been telling me he has been getting alot of complaints of WD in his
NVR's from his customers. He has done some tests and has come to the conclusion that he likes Seagates.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been a little disappointed with all hard drives for years now. Ever since they broke past 1 TB they have been less reliable than ever if customer reviews are to be believed. (All hard drive manufacturers!)

taylor

n3wb
Reaction score

Just bought Hikvision NVR (DS-7716NI-SP/16)

For Home use 16 cams and probably just have cameras recording with motion.

Hard drive prices have come down quite a bit so looking at 3TB ... believe that should be more than enough for my needs? 4TB not much more ... so suggestions there also if better choice?

What drives are recommended for NVR? Use same criteria to evaluate drives as you would if buying for a desktop computer?

Thanks, Patrick
I got the same NVR. I got the "Seagate ST4000VX000 4TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Surveillance Hard Drive"
So far so good, no problems. I only have 2 cameras hooked up at the moment.

What is your opinion of this NVR. So far I have mixed feelings about it over using a PC with Blue Iris. The fan is loud. Also the software settigns for the camers doesn't quite match up with the camera's in some places. I wonder if there's a newer version of software for the NVR. I haven't found a new version yet.

What version is your's running? Mine is on V3.1.0 build 140429

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a friend who works for WD; the purple's are the same as the reds internally and use a specific firmware to optimize caching for multiple simultaneous writes and reduce wear.

I'd also back the purples; unless you find a good sale the 4TB is best $$ per Bytes.

Dont make inadequate storage space be the reason you dont record the quality you need; HDD's are cheap as shit really.

I used to be a total Seagate fan; but they offered 5yr warranty on all disks.. now they dont so I buy Seagate or WD for spiny disks; whom ever has the best deal as they are all 3yr warranties unless you buy enterprise disks... all spiny disks fail; dont matter who made em.. moving parts eventually wear and there is no way around that.. Seagate used to be the longest lasting but they sacrificed that title long ago.

I would urge against Hatachi/Fujitsu; they always seem to fail far too soon for no good reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
+1 on the purple. Warranties are meaningless to me because I refuse to send a damaged drive back if it has recordings from my indoor cameras....who knows what may be on it :)...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you use Software NVR you could always use a full disk encryption so RMAing the drive if needed isint a security/privacy problem.. Not sure what the performance would be; id set it to a minimum level of encryption if possible.. 6094bit RSA is probably not nessicary to hide your old lady's tits.

my indoor camera will ONLY record when the alarm system is armed in away mode; meaning all motion sensors etc are active... other than that its not going to save a single image automatically.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
lol, i would rather take may chances than deal with the performance it.....

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
My daughter scored me a deal of two 3tb purple drives for 245 total, delivered. Installed them both in my 4208. Hopefully the'll do well when ramped up recording 8 cameras.

dr.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got the same NVR. I got the "Seagate ST4000VX000 4TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Surveillance Hard Drive"
So far so good, no problems. I only have 2 cameras hooked up at the moment.

What is your opinion of this NVR. So far I have mixed feelings about it over using a PC with Blue Iris. The fan is loud. Also the software settigns for the camers doesn't quite match up with the camera's in some places. I wonder if there's a newer version of software for the NVR. I haven't found a new version yet.

What version is your's running? Mine is on V3.1.0 build 140429
16 independent 100 Mbps PoE network interfaces.

So it has 16 PoE ports? That's why there is a fan so it can cool that. The ARM main board can likely be passively cooled.

dr.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a friend who works for WD; the purple's are the same as the reds internally and use a specific firmware to optimize caching for multiple simultaneous writes and reduce wear.

I'd also back the purples; unless you find a good sale the 4TB is best $$ per Bytes.

Dont make inadequate storage space be the reason you dont record the quality you need; HDD's are cheap as shit really.

I used to be a total Seagate fan; but they offered 5yr warranty on all disks.. now they dont so I buy Seagate or WD for spiny disks; whom ever has the best deal as they are all 3yr warranties unless you buy enterprise disks... all spiny disks fail; dont matter who made em.. moving parts eventually wear and there is no way around that.. Seagate used to be the longest lasting but they sacrificed that title long ago.

I would urge against Hatachi/Fujitsu; they always seem to fail far too soon for no good reason.
Marketing works wonders. ;)

As long as you pick a drive that isn't "green" or parks the heads constantly, it really doesn't matter much. If you cared about the footage or realiability, you would buy enterprise drives. If you are recording 5Mp+ and/or over 16+ cameras, you would be buying enterprise drives.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There have been several reviews ive seen both on amazon and on other boards where the wd purple solved issues with skipping and choppy recording and playback. All drives are not created equal. Obviously its not the only factor as i have many systems running on oem 7200 rpm drives. Ive never had a drive fail in an NVR pc, or DVR running for years non stop. That said the premium for purple is insignificant and worth it if adding a drive or building new.

dr.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There have been several reviews ive seen both on amazon and on other boards where the wd purple solved issues with skipping and choppy recording and playback. All drives are not created equal. Obviously its not the only factor as i have many systems running on oem 7200 rpm drives. Ive never had a drive fail in an NVR pc, or DVR running for years non stop. That said the premium for purple is insignificant and worth it if adding a drive or building new.
If you're coming anywhere near the limits of consumer drives or really cared about integrity/footage/reliability/etc, you wouldn't be buying consumer drives. If you want to spend more money so you can sleep better, by all means do that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
its not about reaching theoretical limits....the price difference is negligible between a purple and good quality standard drive AND the are reports that the drive has improved performance in both dedicated NVR's and pc's...so it makes sense to get it. The benchmarks show improvement but even more telling is that users report improvements over other drives. I do care about integrity and reliability of my systems and recordings and i can tell you that i have not had a drive failure in an NVR/dvr using standard drives..... period...im talking at least 50 systems over time. Yes its not a huge sample size, but its still meaningful to me. Enterprise drives are not all they are cracked up to be in terms of reliability and with respect to any increase in performance are only useful in some commercial applications with lots of cameras...just read their reviews..they are a waste of money for 99.9 percent of users. Better of just running the purples in raid if you care about backup.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/surveillance-hard-drive-performance,3831-7.html

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/enterprise-drive-reliability/

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is what my last NVR install looked like :)

photo-15-2.jpg

dr.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
its not about reaching theoretical limits....the price difference is negligible between a purple and good quality standard drive AND the are reports that the drive has improved performance in both dedicated NVR's and pc's...so it makes sense to get it. The benchmarks show improvement but even more telling is that users report improvements over other drives. I do care about integrity and reliability of my systems and recordings and i can tell you that i have not had a drive failure in an NVR/dvr using standard drives..... period...im talking at least 50 systems over time. Yes its not a huge sample size, but its still meaningful to me. Enterprise drives are not all they are cracked up to be in terms of reliability and with respect to any increase in performance are only useful in some commercial applications with lots of cameras...just read their reviews..they are a waste of money for 99.9 percent of users. Better of just running the purples in raid if you care about backup.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/surveillance-hard-drive-performance,3831-7.html

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/enterprise-drive-reliability/
Those benchmarks are about as useful as your anecdotal evidence. They tell me that WD finally has a drive that can compete against Seagate's SV. Good job... WD? I don't subscribe to the ridiculous brand loyalty and devotion as some do. If it works for you, fine.

RAID
Seagate SV = 16 drives
Purple = 8 drives

Again, your opinion will likely be that 8 is more than enough. And again, you'll get worked up over nothing because people don't share your exact opinion and do exactly as you want them to do.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum SD444 / Dr. (that's his screen name on slickdeals where he constantly acts like a pretentious jerk). I dont ask people to care about what I think. You missed my point. The price is the same, users say purple performs better. You are the one who suggested enterprise for reliability when that is not the case...regardless..buy what you want and ill recommend what i want.