Hard #'s on CPU and HD usage

mmmann

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello.

I've been reading and searching and doing all my due diligence in consideration of a BlueIris installation. I'm in communication with hardware guys (trying to spec out a server) and they asked some basic questions for which I don't have the answers...and the answers don't seem easy to find.

Question: How much CPU does one, 1080p, 15FPS, direct-to-disk stream use?
Question: How much CPU does live viewing (via Internet Explorer) use, for one cam and for a grid of cams?
Question: How much HD space will one camera (1080p, 15FPS) consume per minute / hour (continuous recording)?

Strangely, after MUCH searching, I cannot find any official data, only anecdotal postings. Therefore, I'm forced to ask, here.

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello.

I've been reading and searching and doing all my due diligence in consideration of a BlueIris installation. I'm in communication with hardware guys (trying to spec out a server) and they asked some basic questions for which I don't have the answers...and the answers don't seem easy to find.

Question: How much CPU does one, 1080p, 15FPS, direct-to-disk stream use?
Question: How much CPU does live viewing (via Internet Explorer) use, for one cam and for a grid of cams?
Question: How much HD space will one camera (1080p, 15FPS) consume per minute / hour (continuous recording)?

Strangely, after MUCH searching, I cannot find any official data, only anecdotal postings. Therefore, I'm forced to ask, here.

Thanks.
No one can answer the cpu questions because it will vary by cpu...
hard drive space is dependent ONLY on bitrate, nothing else...there are many online calculators.

MaxIcon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you know what kind of CPU you're going to use, you can check with what usage others have seen with similar setups. Those are the anecdotal postings, though. The only way to be sure it to test it.

Hard drive space is easy for continuous recording with a fixed bit rate.

Take the bit rate, divide it by 8, and that gives you bytes per second. Multiply by 60 for bytes per minute, 60 more for bytes per hour, etc.
Example: 4096 kbps (bits) = 512 kBps (bytes), x 60 = 30MB per minute, x60 = 1.8GB per hour, and so on.

Variable bit rate will depend on the complexity of the scene, the amount of motion, and the quality setting.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's what I run as a dedicated BI4 Server...

• i7-3770, 3.4ghz (Win8.1)
  • 8GB Ram, 7200 RPM drives
  • 23 cameras
  • 68 total megapixels
  • 5FPS average frame rate
  • Average bit rate: somewhere between 3072 and 4096
  • 40% average idle CPU load (when not recording)
And here are the cameras I run...

• (1) ACTi E33 @ 5MP
  • (2) Dahua IPC-HFW3200S @ 2MP
  • (4) Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I @ 3MP (CH)
  • (1) Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I @ 3MP (CH)
  • (4) Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I @ 3MP (CH)
  • (1) Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I @ 4MP (WR)
  • (2) Hikvision DS-2CD3345-I @ 4MP (CH)
  • (2) Lorex MCNB2151 (DS-2CD2032-I) @ 3MP (WR)
  • (4) Swann 820CAM (DS-2CD2032-I) @ 3MP (WR)
  • (2) Vivotek FD8136 @ 1MP