Hardware - 4 camera system?

Stratman

n3wb
Reaction score
This is new to me so pardon my question if it's already been hammered in the ground. I have the feeling I may be posting the equivalent of an oil thread in a truck forum. :sad2:

A few months ago I set up 4 - 1.3m (720p) Foscams but I already don't like the iffy and often sluggish response from the web server and I want to break away. I don't plan to add any more cameras, maybe one at the most for a total of 5, but for now the 4 that I have cover what I need and I don't see that changing soon. I've done a lot of reading in here about hardware requirements and to be honest I'm all over the map. Seems like the i7 is popular, but I see that i7 users are often running more or bigger cameras. Is an i7 necessary? The reason I ask is because I can make use of a 3gig 65 watt E8400 and 8 gigs of ram, and RAM is cheap so I can add more if that isn't enough.

The BI min requirements look just like that - very minimum. I figure those numbers might be good for a couple of 320 cameras but not much else.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is new to me so pardon my question if it's already been hammered in the ground. I have the feeling I may be posting the equivalent of an oil thread in a truck forum. :sad2:

A few months ago I set up 4 - 1.3m (720p) Foscams but I already don't like the iffy and often sluggish response from the web server and I want to break away. I don't plan to add any more cameras, maybe one at the most for a total of 5, but for now the 4 that I have cover what I need and I don't see that changing soon. I've done a lot of reading in here about hardware requirements and to be honest I'm all over the map. Seems like the i7 is popular, but I see that i7 users are often running more or bigger cameras. Is an i7 necessary? The reason I ask is because I can make use of a 3gig 65 watt E8400 and 8 gigs of ram, and RAM is cheap so I can add more if that isn't enough.

The BI min requirements look just like that - very minimum. I figure those numbers might be good for a couple of 320 cameras but not much else.
For four 1.3mp the 8400 should work..you can always get a 300 i5-4590 elitedesk or optiplex (search the forum)..also check the power consumption on the system as older ones use more power..