Hardware Decode setting: Anything besides "No" creates image issue

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Running 4.8.4.5

I had been running my cams with h.265 (which you can't run any hardware decoding with, I know) but then switched back to h.264H (Various models of Dahua cams and 1 HikV).

After doing this, I then setup hardware decode back to "Intel". Note: The HikV cam doesn't support h.265 and is currently already setup with h.264 and hardware decoding using "Intel" with *no* issues.

I noticed within a minute or so, the images from the Dahua cams began having weird ghosting issues and other odd looking video abnormalities. The image then washes out to a big pink mess of blurred nothingness. Completely repeatable.
I then rebooted the cams. Same problem.
Switched them to the hardware decode setting of "Default". Same behavior as "Intel".

Switched them to "No" and they work fine.
System is using an Intel i7 3770S CPU.

Anyone have any ideas what's happening here? I could've sworn that before I started using h.265 a couple of months ago that I had h.264 and "Intel" configured w/o any problems. (Was running earlier version of BI though)

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've attached an image of one of these cams.

....looking at my own image...I think I might see the issue...not sure how this setting got this way, but I don't use the "Smart Codec" option. Disabling this and trying again now.

[EDIT] Seems like disabling the Smart Codec option fixed it.

:brainfart: Not sure how that setting got like that. Most likely all of the other cams will have this set as well.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello. I dont want to hijack your thread, but i have an identical problem, I have Hikvision camera but no "smart codec" option. Any Suggestions?

upload_2018-12-21_17-21-57.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep Smart Codec (and similarly in the Hikvision cam, H.264+ and SVC) can be a problem.

In the case of the hikvision screenshot, those are already disabled. I see you've also set the i-frame interval equal to the frame rate which has been known to help in some unstable-video situations. I suggest dropping the frame rate to 5 or 10 FPS and the bit rate to half of that (8192) just to see if maybe the stream is more than your decoder can handle in realtime. Constant bit rate is also conceptually simpler, so although it is unlikely to make a difference in stability, you might try that too.

Reaction score
Thanks, i made the changes, and i will just have to wait till the camera gets a couple different motion clips to see if it behaves better.

upload_2018-12-21_17-54-29.png

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. but this the the result with the changes you suggested. When i watch the video live through the web interface, no ghosting seen.

upload_2018-12-21_18-0-47.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. but this the the result with the changes you suggested. When i watch the video live through the web interface, no ghosting seen.

View attachment 36769
do you see this live in BI, if no and you only see it on recorded video, uncheck "also bvr" in the BI video settings for that camera