Hardware platform options

Geewiz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been slowly experimenting and trying to build my knowledge with IP cameras and Blue Iris. Currently I have two IP cams running on an AMD Sempron 3200, running at 1.8 Ghz with 2.5 Gigs of Ram.

I works, but Blue Iris reports CPU utilization at +90% most of the time. I'll soon be adding a 3rd cam and am concerned about the horsepower to drive everything.

I have another machine: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5 Ghz. I'll have at least 4 gigs of ram.

Will this platform provide sufficient horsepower to provide an acceptable level of performance?

Appreciate any input and observations from those who know more than I!

Thanks!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been slowly experimenting and trying to build my knowledge with IP cameras and Blue Iris. Currently I have two IP cams running on an AMD Sempron 3200, running at 1.8 Ghz with 2.5 Gigs of Ram.

I works, but Blue Iris reports CPU utilization at +90% most of the time. I'll soon be adding a 3rd cam and am concerned about the horsepower to drive everything.

I have another machine: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5 Ghz. I'll have at least 4 gigs of ram.

Will this platform provide sufficient horsepower to provide an acceptable level of performance?

Appreciate any input and observations from those who know more than I!

Thanks!!
What cameras do you have and what resolution will you be running them..the problem with the q9300 is that its a power hog...a modern i5 haswell system can be had for about 300 (dell outlet)..its much more efficient..depending on where you live, you can make your money back in under two years...
Also have you tried running direct to disc mode on your current rig?

Geewiz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for reply! While I may upgrade my system a bit further down the road, I am immediately interested in knowing how the q9300 quad core will perform, power considerations aside. Would it provide a noticable improvement?

Thanks again!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for reply! While I may upgrade my system a bit further down the road, I am immediately interested in knowing how the q9300 quad core will perform, power considerations aside. Would it provide a noticable improvement?

Thanks again!
Of course, its a much more powerful processor compared to the amd...but its weak compared to a modern i5 (in fact its weaker than a modern haswell i3)..

Geewiz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's great...I'm know the q9300 is older technology, but wasn't sure how it would compare. I'll give it a shot, just to see what the experience will be.

Geewiz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wow! I've set up the old Q9300 and can't believe the difference! System no longer lags and BI shows CPU utilization hovering around +/-15%. That's a long way from 90 -95%,

I think it's fair to expect that adding a third camera won't be a problem.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! I've set up the old Q9300 and can't believe the difference! System no longer lags and BI shows CPU utilization hovering around +/-15%. That's a long way from 90 -95%,

I think it's fair to expect that adding a third camera won't be a problem.
It all depends on the cameras resolution...blue iris request much more power for say 3mp HD cameras...you should be ok though. They cameras you are using now are likely vga...