Hardware Requirement- which Motherboard is best suited to run BI for 24/7 operation?

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All,

I would like to post the question to all forum members.
Hoping someone can really give some advice in building
a low power system running BI at 24/7.

I have built surveillance system in the past with cheaper
micro atx motherboard for office usage, but somehow
it wouldn't last after about 2-3 years.

I am not sure, whether I should go for large ATX
motherboard (more durable), for better investment,
instead of opting for cheaper micro ATX motherboard.

However, I prefer a small factor since it is going to be
used at home, not office.:rolleyes: So I am more inclined to
use micro ATX or mini ATX motherboards available the market.
That is why I looking at the Gigabyte motherboard shown below.

I am thinking about using the following components.........

Motherboard = Gigabyte H97N-WIFI LGA 1150
Link: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4992#ov
Would this motherboard be a good choice for home use?

CPU = i7 4790s LGA 1150 low power (@TDP= 65w)
Link: http://ark.intel.com/products/80808/Intel-Core-i7-4790S-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz

What I am worrying about is the motherboard's H97N chipset,
As you add more and more ip cameras, the chipset will have
work harder to cope with handling large data, transferring to
the hard disk. Not sure how much bandwidth is available?

Yet another problem that I worry is the heat
generated by the chipset. I would think it will be sizzling hot,
although case fan can alleviate some heat from the motherboard.
The system will be placed at the attic, which is hot all year round
since I based at a tropical sunny country. So having case fan is
a must for my application.

Any advice is given is most appreciated.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Re: Hardware Requirement- which Motherboard is best suited to run BI for 24/7 operati

What motherboards have you used in the past that have failed? How did they fail?

How would a regular ATX motherboard last longer than a mATX motherboard? I don't see an issue with using a micro ATX motherboard. However, I don't recommend using the stock intel cooler. I'd recommend a good aftermarket cooler with a 120mm fan.

I can guarantee you, if you place the computer in your hot attic, it will fail a lot quicker than if it was in a climate controlled area.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Re: Hardware Requirement- which Motherboard is best suited to run BI for 24/7 operati

Forget about building your own...just buy a used Dell i7-4790 or Dell i7-6700 on eBay and be done with it. Many of these machines are open box and come with a 3-year Dell warranty.

Reaction score

Some people prefer to build their own computers (like myself). Building my own computer allows me to spec it out the way I want it/need it without the extra junk the manufacture decides to throw in or leave out. Microcenter has the best prices, especially with their motherboard/processor combo deals. Using Microcenter, I can probably build a i7 4790K computer for the same price of a Dell Optiplex on sale at the Dell outlet.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Some people prefer to build their own computers (like myself). Building my own computer allows me to spec it out the way I want it/need it without the extra junk the manufacture decides to throw in or leave out. Microcenter has the best prices, especially with their motherboard/processor combo deals. Using Microcenter, I can probably build a i7 4790K computer for the same price of a Dell Optiplex on sale at the Dell outlet.
Not unless you pirate the OS...You wont even come close...You can buy an optiplex i7-6700 skylake for 525. Full 3 year warranty. There is no extra junk, simply do a clean install of the OS.

Reaction score

Not unless you pirate the OS...You wont even come close...You can buy an optiplex i7-6700 skylake for 525. Full 3 year warranty. There is no extra junk, simply do a clean install of the OS.
How much memory is included with that price? With the amount of cameras I have and the Pre-frame recording I need 16GB of RAM. I also have 2x 4TB Purple drives and 1x 2TB purple drive. Last time I checked the Optiplex cases couldn't handle that many drives, plus the drive for the OS. I also don't like having a mechanical HDD as my primary OS drive. I like the Samsung 850 Evo or Pro series.

So, right off bat I would need to replace the case for upgraded HDD capacity, upgrade the RAM, and purchase an additional drive for my OS. I'm very specific on the components in my computer. Building a computer makes more sense for me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

How much memory is included with that price? With the amount of cameras I have and the Pre-frame recording I need 16GB of RAM. I also have 2x 4TB Purple drives and 1x 2TB purple drive. Last time I checked the Optiplex cases couldn't handle that many drives, plus the drive for the OS. I also don't like having a mechanical HDD as my primary OS drive. I like the Samsung 850 Evo or Pro series.

So, right off bat I would need to replace the case for upgraded HDD capacity, upgrade the RAM, and purchase an additional drive for my OS. I'm very specific on the components in my computer. Building a computer makes more sense for me.
You would have to purchase the ssd and memory regardless. Most folks dont put three drives in...so thats the point..for most its a complete waste of money. You can find similar great deals on the dell/hp/lenovo servers that hold more drives.

Reaction score

You would have to purchase the ssd and memory regardless. Most folks dont put three drives in...so thats the point..for most its a complete waste of money. You can find similar great deals on the dell/hp/lenovo servers that hold more drives.
For most it's a waste of money, but that's why I said some people prefer to build their own. It's easier to configure the computer to their individual needs.

By the time I purchase the SSD and Memory for one of those Dell/HP/Lenovo computers, the cost would be almost equal to the cost of my custom built computer.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

What is the value of the 3-year Dell warranty.

Reaction score

Not sure. My motherboard has a 3 year warranty, RAM is lifetime, Samsung SSD is 10 years, Powersupply is 5 years, and Processor is 3 years.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Not sure. My motherboard has a 3 year warranty, RAM is lifetime, Samsung SSD is 10 years, Powersupply is 5 years, and Processor is 3 years.
Next business day? How long are you willing to have your NVR down...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

For most it's a waste of money, but that's why I said some people prefer to build their own. It's easier to configure the computer to their individual needs.

By the time I purchase the SSD and Memory for one of those Dell/HP/Lenovo computers, the cost would be almost equal to the cost of my custom built computer.
The cost would be much lower for the Dell or HP unless you pirate the OS...

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

What motherboards have you used in the past that have failed? How did they fail?

How would a regular ATX motherboard last longer than a mATX motherboard? I don't see an issue with using a micro ATX motherboard. However, I don't recommend using the stock intel cooler. I'd recommend a good aftermarket cooler with a 120mm fan.

I can guarantee you, if you place the computer in your hot attic, it will fail a lot quicker than if it was in a climate controlled area.
Hi smiticans,

Thanks for your advice!:)

I used to have a ASUS P5QPL-AM (micro-atx), running NUUO mainconsole CCTV software at 24/7.
The system was not running at the attic but located my office floor. After running
non stop for 3 years or more. Video display on the screen gone haywire,
getting a lot of distortion on my discrete video card. After changing to a ATX
motherboard ASUS P5KR, everything was ran as clockwork, everything
ran as per normal. By the way, I was not using stock Intel cooler, I was
using CM hyper TX3 heatsink fan at the time. I am not sure whether my CM
Slient Pro M2 620w has got to do with it. A lot folks that I know recommended
me to buy Seasonic brand PSUs, because they are the best.

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Not sure why people over the USA, always go for DELL. Over this part of the world.
DELL machines, have always been problematic because my brother is working in a
an international company who source for HP & DELL for their PCs. He told me not
buy DELL machines, because they tend to fail within their warranty period. I asked a
friend of mine working as tech support contractor, he told me to go for HP instead of DELL.
I don't know, may be DELL has changed a lot since 3-4 years back and they already
produced quality products.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Not sure why people over the USA, always go for DELL. Over this part of the world.
DELL machines, have always been problematic because my brother is working in a
an international company who source for HP & DELL for their PCs. He told me not
buy DELL machines, because they tend to fail within their warranty period. I asked a
friend of mine working as tech support contractor, he told me to go for HP instead of DELL.
I don't know, may be DELL has changed a lot since 3-4 years back and they already
produced quality products.
I use both dell and hp ..you are not being given accurate information. They are both incredibly reliable. Remember we are specifically talking about the business systems.

Reaction score

Next business day? How long are you willing to have your NVR down...
My gaming computer also doubles as a back up to BI. If my BI computer goes down, my gaming computer will have absolutely no problem handling the load. If the situation is that urgent, Microcenter is 25 minutes from my house and they're open 7 days a week.

Reaction score

The cost would be much lower for the Dell or HP unless you pirate the OS...
Not true due to my requirements of the computer. However, I do agree with you for most people it would be cheaper to buy from the Dell outlet.

$525.00 for a Dell Optiplex i7 6700 + $69.00 for upgrading RAM to 16GB, + $90.00 for Samsung SSD + $89.00 for a case that can handle all of my drives = $773.00.

Right now at Microcenter, I can build an i7 6700 computer with 16GB RAM, 120GB Samsung SSD, Motherboard, mATX case, 430W power-supply for $621.00 without an Operating system.

Windows 10 Pro OEM= $139.00

Windows 10 Home OEM= $99.00

Total Cost for system with Pro = $760.00

Total Cost for system with Home = $720.00

Not to mention the warranty of the Dell computer probably won't be valid after all of those upgrades were performed.

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Not true due to my requirements of the computer. However, I do agree with you for most people it would be cheaper to buy from the Dell outlet.

$525.00 for a Dell Optiplex i7 6700 + $69.00 for upgrading RAM to 16GB, + $90.00 for Samsung SSD + $89.00 for a case that can handle all of my drives = $773.00.

Right now at Microcenter, I can build an i7 6700 computer with 16GB RAM, 120GB Samsung SSD, Motherboard, mATX case, 430W power-supply for $621.00 without an Operating system.

Windows 10 Pro OEM= $139.00

Windows 10 Home OEM= $99.00

Total Cost for system with Pro = $760.00

Total Cost for system with Home = $720.00

Not to mention the warranty of the Dell computer probably won't be valid after all of those upgrades were performed.
I thought there is option of upgrading all the components that you require for buying a new PC from DELL?
If there is such an option, then you won't void the warranty from DELL, right?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

I thought there is option of upgrading all the components that you require for buying a new PC from DELL?
If there is such an option, then you won't void the warranty from DELL, right?
If you buy a custom system it will be much more expensive..

Scarrz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Was in the same boat about DIY build but ended up getting an OptiPlex 5040 MT, i7-6700, 8GB Ram, 500gb SATA, Windows 10 Pro for $460 shipped after the coupon code from this past weekend. Comes with a 3yr wty.