Hardware server

oestecom

n3wb
Reaction score
Good evening everyone, I am new to the forum and would like a hardware suggestion from the computer to the following scenario: total of 23 cameras, 5 2MP cameras and 18 cameras 1MP. I need to store images for 10 days and may be by motion or continuous recording.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i7 processor, 5th generation or higher. The common suggestion is Dell Optiplex or HP EliteDesk. Dell runs sales monthly, or if you're patient you can get great deals on eBay from resellers that include 3 year factory warrantys. Stay away from the SFF (small form factor) models as you'll need the large units for multiple HDD to store that much material. You don't want an external graphics card so make sure the process has integrated Intel processing and 16GB ram. I can't say with certainty if you can get away with 8GB, i'm sure someone else here will chime in with a definite answer but i'd recommend 16gb.

SSD drive for the OS and for BI. 120gb is fine, that seems to be the smallest that you can buy nowadays unless you look for less. I have seen 64 but the most common is 120-128gb.

If you're only storing the images that are triggered with alerts you can get away with less space, but if you want continuous recording AND clips and images, you'll need more. I know with BI you can set the alerts folder to a certain size so if you're going the images route, set the New and Stored folders for less and the Alerts folder for more. I'd recommend at least 8TB to start, and if you decide you want to keep more video, add more later.

dagg89

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I am doing a similar setup, 8 3MP cameras and 16 analog cameras connected with Axis video Encoder. I have a Server that has this specs:
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Intel Xeon E3-1220 V3 3.10 GHz, Quad-Core, 8 MB L3 Cache, 8GB DDR3 1600,1 TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD, 2 4 TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] Would this be sufficient?[/FONT]

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, I am doing a similar setup, 8 3MP cameras and 16 analog cameras connected with Axis video Encoder. I have a Server that has this specs:
Intel Xeon E3-1220 V3 3.10 GHz, Quad-Core, 8 MB L3 Cache, 8GB DDR3 1600,1 TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD, 2 4 TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD.
Would this be sufficient?
You are pushing it but it should work..since you have it, its easy to test. Remember you must enter the licences key for direct to disk to work. You must set your cameras in BI to direct to disc recording or this will not work. Also enable hardware acceleration.
Also see this if you intend to use a more powerful system.
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/13468-Great-deal-on-i7-6700-EliteDesk

dagg89

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Would more memory be helpful or is it the processor not really powerful enough?