Has anyone found a solution to reading .264 files in Windows 7 or 10?

bxdobs

n3wb
Reaction score
This one noname brand IPCAM that I have had for about 10 years is storing files on its SSD ... I can play back the files using my iphone but have now pushed these files to an FTP Server running on windows 10 ... the issue is Windows Media, Real Player, VLC all refuse to play these files ... even tried VSDC

Very Frustrating ... has anybody found a codec for VLC to play these files?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This one noname brand IPCAM that I have had for about 10 years is storing files on its SSD ... I can play back the files using my iphone but have now pushed these files to an FTP Server running on windows 10 ... the issue is Windows Media, Real Player, VLC all refuse to play these files ... even tried VSDC

Very Frustrating ... has anybody found a codec for VLC to play these files?
windows can play h.264 files natively....if its not playing your files there is an issue with the way your camera is creating them.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm assuming those files contains raw H.264 video. I'm surprised VLC can't play them if an iphone can.

You might be able to run a simple ffmpeg command to convert them to mp4. You may need to specify the frame rate because raw H.264 doesn't provide frame timing information.

Code:
ffmpeg -framerate 30 -i input.264 -c copy output.mp4

bxdobs

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm assuming those files contains raw H.264 video. I'm surprised VLC can't play them if an iphone can.

You might be able to run a simple ffmpeg command to convert them to mp4. You may need to specify the frame rate because raw H.264 doesn't provide frame timing information.

Code:
ffmpeg -framerate 30 -i input.264 -c copy output.mp4
these files play out in the IPCAMVIEWER on the iPhone ... not the iPhone generic media player itself

bxdobs

n3wb
Reaction score
The headers in these files is HXVS and HXVF

first 32 bytes in these files
48 58 56 53 00 05 00 00 D0 02 00 00 01 00 00 00
48 58 56 46 12 00 00 00 AE 63 AB 2D 01 00 00 00

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If your videos are in Dav format, you can modify the VLC player setting to play them by changing Automatic to H264 video demuxer.

You can try this:

Open VLC and go to Tools-Preferences. And bottom left corner <show settings> click All.

And on the Advanced preferences window: Input/Codecs -demuxers.
change Demux modeule from Automatic to H264 video demuxer and save.

But you can't play normal regular mp4 videos after the change, you have to switch back to
Automatic again if you want to play other formatted videos later on.

bxdobs

n3wb
Reaction score
correction: I have 3 cam apps on the iPhone 2 are for different client locations ... the one I was referring to is my personal camera and the app it is using is CamHi, not IPCamViewer ... ffmeg isn't touching this file ... claims it can't find a codec

genbolt is taking forever to download

forcing the H264 demuxer option on has no effect

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Could be an issue with Windows corruption. You could try to repair Windows using the DISM commands or if you don't want to go down that route, a safer option would be to download the K-Lite codec pack. It's free and contains pretty much every codec you'll ever need.

I think I chose the basic version but can't remember off the top.

bxdobs

n3wb
Reaction score
Could be an issue with Windows corruption. You could try to repair Windows using the DISM commands or if you don't want to go down that route, a safer option would be to download the K-Lite codec pack. It's free and contains pretty much every codec you'll ever need.

I think I chose the basic version but can't remember off the top.
with MS, one machine possibly but not 2 machines

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Download a util called mediainfo and see what that makes of the video file content, might help in terms of showing the file format which in turn might help to work out what you can use to either convert or play the clips.