Has anyone ordered from "Dahua Franchise Store" on Aliexpress? Why are prices generally cheaper ?

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also there are sooooo many cameras I am genuinely confused.

Like how does a 2MP Starlight turret cost more than a 4MP or even 8MP starlight ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Like how does a 2MP Starlight turret cost more than a 4MP or even 8MP starlight ?
because most are hacked firmware china region cameras that cannot be firmware upgraded and use subpar sensors and not starlights at all and shipped slow method not dhl.
read the wiki and threads on cameras, the mp rating is the last thing to consider.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

If you could post a link, it'd be easier to tell. There are multiple series of 2MP Starlight models ... Ultra, Pro, Lite, etc. The Ultra models use a bigger 2MP 1/1.8" image sensor that cost more. Varifocal models also cost more. Is the vendor shipping via quick DHL or another method that may take literally one full month to arrive?

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok for example. What is the difference and why are prices so varied? All claim non chinese version.

#Aliexpress C$ 154.74 16%OFF | original dahua International Version IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE 4MP IP Camera Built-in MIC WDR IR50M Eyeball AI Network Camera

#Aliexpress C$ 187.42 21%OFF | original dahua International Version IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE 4MP IP Camera Built-in MIC WDR IR50M Eyeball AI Network Camera

#Aliexpress C$ 214.37 6%OFF | 2019 New Arriving IP Camera IPC-T5442TM-AS 4MP Starlight+ WDR IR Eyeball AI Network Camera , free DHL shipping

There's many others. Prices fluctuate wildly. Andys store usually seems to have highest prices even though other sellers told me shipping is within 2 weeks and they are original / international / english versions.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do a search here or on the internet with the words brick and camera and see what pops up...

Do a search here finding people that purchased cams from the cheaper places and find out that they do not work as intended.

Sometimes you do get what you pay for. Sometimes the cheap stuff works out and sometimes it is a big bust. A really big bust if the buyer has to pay for shipping for the returns.

My neighbor went that route first for a Dahua PTZ that was almost two hundred cheaper than from Andy's store. Got it and despite all the write-ups on the store, the cam software was all in Chinese. He got in contact with seller and they wanted him to download and install all these questionable programs, so he bit the bullet and paid to have it returned and bought from Andy.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So after reading the reviews and your footage, I think bang for the buck wise, 2431 probably cannot be beat? I'm really impressed by your youtube vids on it. Btw how many lumens are those lights on your vehicles? I think I'll order just 1 and play with it. Already working on improving lighting at night with motion flood led lights. If I'm not happy with it to watch cars, i can always move it by a door or side or backyard and get a 5442 or something to watch the cars.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok thanks for replies everyone. Ordering a budget friendly 2431 3.6mm to play with. If I'm happy then I'll get more. If not, I can use it on the sides/by doors and get a 5442 to watch the cars.

Tekbotslaya

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My neighbor went that route first for a Dahua PTZ that was almost two hundred cheaper than from Andy's store. Got it and despite all the write-ups on the store, the cam software was all in Chinese. He got in contact with seller and they wanted him to download and install all these questionable programs, so he bit the bullet and paid to have it returned and bought from Andy.
Was your neighbor tempted to learn to read Chinese? Haha. Im wondering if a translation browser plug in have worked to get him through the set up. I'm just thinking out loud, he did the right thing and ordered from Andy.

Reaction score
@Warptrooper I went the same route as you to a larger degree. 110 VAC floodlights at the 4 sides of my house. I went with:
LEPOWER 35w LED 100VAC security lights
Granted, I did not fear running 1/2" conduit, 3 strands of wire, and playing with my main house electrical box & fuses. Many folks speak highly of solar powered LED security lights as well.
In regards to whom to purchase from, as Fish above says...Andy has proven his worth to the people here on IPCT website (he has been here for....years? and has helped people out with tech/fixes). If he is $20 higher than someone I do not know on Ali Express, that's fine with me. But to each their own.
the 2431 is the "LITE" series. A good starter camera on a budget. But please remember, this is the beginner camera so do not compare it to the all mighty 5442's :)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Holbs I'm gonna do same. Hardwire 3500lm ones just different model. Probably tomorrow. Yup 2431 is a nice budget cam. Its half the price of 5442 lol. But how about 2831 it seems to be in between the price of other 2.

Reaction score
Stick with the cheapest one you can afford, to tinker with. I have 16 highly rated Dahua cams but it took over a year to get this far (still gots a LPR camera to go!). I started off with 4.
Play with the 2431. Your primary concern is keeping eye on the driveway. If you fired up that camera system you bought from Costco, I hope you kept/saved some images or videos. Would like to see the comparison between Costco camera system and the blue iris/dahua 2431's.
Later on, you can advance up the camera ladder in terms of quality of image, MP, Starlight+, multiple angles, high & low, etc. For now, play with that single camera and learn do's/don'ts of camera stuff. Gain knowledge. This camera stuff has some science to it ;)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Was your neighbor tempted to learn to read Chinese? Haha. Im wondering if a translation browser plug in have worked to get him through the set up. I'm just thinking out loud, he did the right thing and ordered from Andy.
LOL - I told him the GUI is fairly similar across Dahua cams so I could probably figure it out, but he wanted to tinker with it too. But at the same time, I think it had cheaper components than the one he got from Andy. The picture quality was quite a difference.