Has anyone tried running PoE via Ethernet & Coax?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anyone tried running PoE via a combination of Ethernet and Coax? I came across this,Amazon.com: EnConn EOC-IN-B Ethernet over Coax Passive Extender up to 650 feet: Computers & Accessories

Almost feels like it would work, but cost is a factor. I'm unable to run a long length of ethernet because of routing issues, would a Powerline be better?

Also, do either of these options work with Dahua cameras? What about the detection ability over the network?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried running PoE via a combination of Ethernet and Coax? I came across this,Amazon.com: EnConn EOC-IN-B Ethernet over Coax Passive Extender up to 650 feet: Computers & Accessories

Almost feels like it would work, but cost is a factor. I'm unable to run a long length of ethernet because of routing issues, would a Powerline be better?

Also, do either of these options work with Dahua cameras? What about the detection ability over the network?
Run new cable...
These are top notch units
http://www.veracityglobal.com/products/ethernet-over-coax-devices/highwire.

only makes sense when the cable is costly to run like underground...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, they look like the original manufacturer as that was the first result which appeared on Google after coming across the one on Amazon. Looks identical.

However, at a cost : efficiency ratio, how's the Powerline option? Is it too risky because it can be a point of failure (surges, electrical failure, etc)?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, they look like the original manufacturer as that was the result pulled on Google after coming across the Amazon page. Looks identical. At a cost : efficiency ratio, how's the Powerline option? Is it too risky because it can be a point of failure?
stop being cheap, how much are you saving using powerline vs paying someone to run a cable, 50-75 dollars? with powerline you cannot use a surge protector, you WILL have connectivity issues at some point, it WILL fail at some point and you will have to replace it. Do it right, how much is your time worth?