Has anyone used POE powerline adapters?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Has anyone here used POE powerline adapters? I have a situation that they would be helpful in but wanted to get some opinions from someone that has actually used them for IP cameras..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, many here have. I have used one for years. No problems in my experience and way better than wifi.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Any specific ones you would reccomend?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The ones I use are old and not even made anymore by Logitech. Going on at least 10 years if not longer. Folks have found used ones cheap on internet.

I know some folks here are using newer ones so hopefully they chime in with the brand they use.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The biggest issue with these is that they dont work with surge protectors. If you want that camera to record during a power outage you will need an additional ups as well. For about double the cost you can pay someone to run the cable.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This house has so many aditions and cathedral cielings. All of the aditions are closed off from one another so running wire isnt an easy task to say the least.

Beside being slower than what they are rated for, do you know if there are any major issues when using multiple adapters on different circuits.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mine is rated for 100Mbps and when I pop a computer on it and do a speed test I am getting the rated 100Mbps, so unless you are throwing 8-10 cameras on one PLA you would be fine.

I tested it once on different circuits and thru GFCI and with multiple cams and a computer attached and it never hiccuped, but that wasn't an extended test.

I don't think multiple PLA would be an issue as it is simply a digital signal going thru copper line, no different than cable company servicing thousands on a copper line.

The only way to know for sure is to buy one and test it. Every house is different. For example, some haven't been able to get it to work if the units were on different sides of the electric panel, while others have had it work.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone here used POE powerline adapters? I have a situation that they would be helpful in but wanted to get some opinions from someone that has actually used them for IP cameras..
Yes, TP-LINK for one ==>> TP-Link Powerline Ethernet Adapter Starter Kit - AV1000 Gigabit Port, Plug&Play, Ethernet Over Power, Nano Size, Ideal for Smart TV, Online Gaming, Wired Connection Only (TL-PA7017 KIT)

and

Zyxel for another ==>>
Zyxel Powerline AV1300 Mbps Powerline Ethernet Adapter Step Above AV1000 and AV1200, ideal for smart TVs, on-line games, 4K streaming - Pack of 2 [PLA5405v2]

EDIT 1/28 @ 1752 CT: The above are not POE capable as requested by the OP.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
I've heard that the "G.hn" technology is supposed to be much improved when it comes to being able to "talk" between L1 and L2 in a split-phase, 120/240VAC 3 wire residential service. I'd buy from amazon and return it if need be.

The below image is from ==>> G.hn Powerline Wave 2

G.hn-HPAV-Comparison-Table.jpg