Has Anyone Used: SUNBA 601-D20X ?

n8xja

n3wb
Reaction score
The specs seem outstanding for the price on amazon but I am wondering if it is too good to be true?

Thoughts?

bctrainers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The only things good about them before hardware failures kick in: Superb daylight video quality at 1920x1080 resolution, IR-led flood* a good swath of area at elevation, works with BI without (much) issue.

The bad... oh man, here goes...

• Constantly tries to 'phone home' to multiple IP addresses (Taiwan/China IP's and some Amazon AWS IP's) - even with all settings turned off. Have to block its LAN IP from being able to pass through the firewall.
  • IR randomly comes on - even with it forced off. Becomes noticable in a lightning storm (even with proper grounding).
  • Harsh climates are really-bad on this camera. Even while in its within nominal operating temperature ranges.
  • Operating the camera at night time with no IR active, you can see "noise bars" rolling through the camera - even when properly grounded.
  • Port 554 for video feed quality is absolutely terrible - no matter the settings used. Forced to use port 34567.
  • Camera lens causes severe "light warping" at the edges and blue-shift.
  • IR-leds cannot be controlled via power on a per level setting. It's either: Off, Normal (zoom-controlled), All-on. Where all-on is only the high powered IR "beams".
  • Due to the above, the camera gets a TON of IR-bounce-back and simply white-wash's the given video*.
  • Cameras sensor over time deteriorates - rapidly. In time, white specks will be highly visible during night time operation. Some of the white specs will begin to multiply outward from a single location.
  • Auto-focus is a proper pain in the ass at night time. Have to catch it at the right moment to stop it from focus in, focus out, x4.
  • Focus with IR on is garbage while zoom'd in. It simply cannot keep a proper focus and will set its focus to 1 inch away from the camera (tested this one).
  • Latest firmware update bungled most video control settings, so can no longer control amount of brightness/shutter speed received to the camera.
  • Latest firmware also causes the camera to auto-dim and auto-un-dim rapidly (every second) in somewhat bright settings. Can't revert this.
  • PTZ motors have speed/sync issues causing preset locations to be off location during any sort of weather or time of day. Doesn't appear to be slipping, but the actual motor itself.
  • The VMS software for the camera is simply broken. Won't launch on windows 10. Old versions somewhat worked, if you could cope with the wonky-English. :)
  • The outer lens rubber seal rapidly deteriorates with time and weathering. Allowing moisture and water to get into the camera. Ultimately causing warping of the outer lens of the plastic camera sensor.
  • Can overheat and go into a reboot loop. Have to kill the power at the POE switch. (This was a fun one!) >_>
  • Has random video feed "locks", where the entire video stream stops sending data via the on-camera web UI and/or BI for a second or two, then catches up with more video. Not a clue what causes it.
  • Maximum bandwidth that can be transferred at one time appears to be around 20 to 30Mbps from the camera to the network. The NIC port is 10/100. POE switch reports full-duplex at 100Mbps. There are no collisions or errors from camera to POE switch.
Yeah, I've had some 'fun' with the 601-D20X.

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey n8xja...

I purchased this camera as well and can vouch for much of what bctrainers notes above, but it sounds like he's had much worse luck than me on a couple of fronts. To be fair, these are not the worst cameras I've bought and I've not had any of the "Mechanical" issues that he has had. In fact, I've had this camera mounted on the eave of my house in Seattle (North Bend WA) for about 2 years and it's managed to survive the rain, cold, and snow). But in the end, you REALLY do get what you pay for, and given what I've seen in terms of software/firmware issues and the terrible IR performance, I couldn't recommend buying them. Spend a bit more and get a decent brand like Hikvision.

My two cents!

n8xja

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for all the feedback. I found it interesting to read that the camera tries to phone home all the time.

bctrainers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for all the feedback. I found it interesting to read that the camera tries to phone home all the time.
Pulled up ntop logs here... So if you're curious to know the IP's and ports...

• pub-cfg.secu100.net
  • secu100.net
  • 54.84.132.236 (Amazon's AWS)
  • 112.124.0.188 (China)
  • 120.25.115.20 (China)
  • 120.25.115.19 (China)

All appears to be on port 7999, 123 (NTP sync), 67 (DHCP). Block one, another pops up hah...