Has the Ring Camera Gotten Better?

Reaction score
Pulled these two stills from a local police FaceBook page. I am surprised at how good the image is. Not discussing FOV or placement, but the color night image is fairly good, at least the second one. Not sure if a motion light came on or the cam opened up the exposure. Have they improved thier cams? They now have a date and time stamp.

1614782837722.png

1614783005820.png

Attachments

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
The first image is pretty bad. The second image is much better but I'm guessing the camera is shining a light directly on the subject and he is also standing still closing the door (or about to close the door).

Are they better performance wise? I'd say no judging from those pictures. Their selling points are ease of installation and cloud service availability for mobile devices.

Edit: Forgot to say my neighbors post their Ring/Nest video footage to Nextdoor from time to time. From what I've seen it pretty poor footage. Really no identifying details are ever available in the videos. Can't even tell colors since they all seem to flip to B/W at night.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This one is better than most we see and that location clearly has more ambient light than what we typically see, plus a lot of Ring footage that shows up on Nextdoor and in the media are the doorbell cams and those just cannot ID anyone more than a few feet away.

I still think another camera that is same fixed lens size as this camera would outperform it simply because you can dial in the settings.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agreed. Just saying that 2MP cams in general have come a long way, with enough light.

Same distance I think?, my old CVI analog 3231Z-E with a 1/2.8 sensor. To your point I dont think they could get that good of an image out of that Ring.

ch2_20170613020421-A.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed. Just saying that 2MP cams in general have come a long way, with enough light.

Same distance I think?, my old CVI analog 3231Z-E with a 1/2.8 sensor. To your point I dont think they could get that good of an image out of that Ring.

View attachment 83904
Yeah, that is pretty close in angle and distance and that analog just kicked ring's butt LOL.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pulled these two stills from a local police FaceBook page. I am surprised at how good the image is. Not discussing FOV or placement, but the color night image is fairly good, at least the second one. Not sure if a motion light came on or the cam opened up the exposure. Have they improved thier cams? They now have a date and time stamp.

View attachment 83878

View attachment 83879
Thanks @samplenhold

Yes, the cloud cameras are getting better sensors... ( update: hard to find proper specs on many cloud cameras.. I know the WYZE V3 came out with a nicer sensor )

still it looks like the flood light kicked in ( 2nd photo vs 1st ).

Biggest issue I see with the cloud cameras:
1) Excessive compression to save bandwidth
2) No time stamps ( some are fixing this thankfully )
3) Very wide FOV.. thus short ID distance.. )

This was one of the best Ring image captures I have seen though.. wonder which Ring model they are using.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This was one of the best Ring image captures I have seen though.. wonder which Ring model they are using.
Don't know the model. I just pulled it off of the local police's FaceBook page.

I was surprised at how well it did. While I bet someone who knows the guy could ID him, I doubt it is good enough to be used in court.

Confusing to me about the lighting. The second shot has more light on the subject which would imply a motion spot, but the whole scene is better exposed. And if you believe the time stamp, the two shots are less than a second apart.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't know the model. I just pulled it off of the local police's FaceBook page.

I was surprised at how well it did. While I bet someone who knows the guy could ID him, I doubt it is good enough to be used in court.

Confusing to me about the lighting. The second shot has more light on the subject which would imply a motion spot, but the whole scene is better exposed. And if you believe the time stamp, the two shots are less than a second apart.
Perhaps some photo manipulation then..??

Reaction score
I am sure its a ring flood light camera, which is why is was brighter in second picture the light came on. The other reason for it being clear when the light came on is because it is much lower and closer to the cars than most peoples ring flood light cameras. Usually they have them way to high and you can't identify much.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am sure its a ring flood light camera, which is why is was brighter in second picture the light came on. The other reason for it being clear when the light came on is because it is much lower and closer to the cars than most peoples ring flood light cameras. Usually they have them way to high and you can't identify much.
You mean up on the 2nd floor soffit is too high :p