Have some knowledge but need help...

pradasmom

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Everyone and thank you for reading my post I live on a farm and Atlanta and my farm is gated however we have just a motion to tactor driveway alarms but I would like to get a camera up there at the gate that would notify me when somebody is coming through because they are different buildings on the farm and I’m not always at home so I don’t always know if somebody’s coming through I can’t get my Wi-Fi to go that far I know there a way to do that through extenders old modems routers I won’t even old laptops I just don’t know how to do itWithout it costing an arm and a leg because I can’t afford it any suggestions or options. I do own a IP camera that has to have power and I do have power at the gate I just don’t know how to connect everything or what is the easiest way or than the least expensive way to get it connected to where it’ll come to my phone when somebody comes through

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The recommend solution is to run an Ethernet cable to the gate. If that is not possible then look at using a Ubiquiti nano station. There are a number of long distance radio/wireless network solutions (not really wifi).

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
@pradasmom , a few questions.
Assuming the place you would be receiving the camera video/notifications is your house......
  • How far is it from house to gate?
  • Is there Line of Sign (LOS) from house to gate and no obstructions between?
  • Do you have an absolute top dollar budget amount?

pradasmom

n3wb
Reaction score
+1^^.
@pradasmom , a few questions.
Assuming the place you would be receiving the camera video/notifications is your house......
  • How far is it from house to gate?
  • Is there Line of Sign (LOS) from house to gate and no obstructions between?
  • Do you have an absolute top dollar budget amount?
I would like to receive notifications from said camera on my iPhone and stored in a cloud. because like I said it’s a farm and I have a condition called agoraphobia & PTSD so I almost never the property and I’m all over the farm(50 acres) all day long taking care of animals. We have people that come and go all day but my condition is getting worse and I know it would be better for me to know who is here or who may be trying to get in while I’m out caring for the animals instead of sitting in my house neglecting my animals worrying that I won’t know if someone is here that shouldn’t be?? A straight shot from my house to the gate is a football field(little more, little less) nothing blocking like trees it just a pasture with a few of my horses. I have an IP camera for outside thats motion detected and I have power at the gate. As far as my budget I don’t have an answer to that. I am a big DIY person and I’m always up for learning tech stuff. I just need it to notify my phone and a few other phones as well.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to receive notifications from said camera on my iPhone and stored in a cloud. .......A straight shot from my house to the gate is a football field(little more, little less) nothing blocking like trees........ and I have power at the gate.
Like @SouthernYankee , I highly recommend a Ubiquiti Layer 2 Transparent Bridge. Basically it functions as a piece of CAT-5e Ethernet cable between the 2 points, data-wise.

Ubiquiti_layer2_bridge-cams.jpg