Having difficulty connecting ReadyNas NVPlus to Hikvision DVR

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
DVR: DS-7216HWI-SH

I am meeting varied success and failure trying to utilize my Netgear ReadyNas as a redundant recording target [Storage Server], or, as a NAS device.

I can format [allocate] disk space from a PC that has the ReadyNas share(s) mapped as a drive. But, that is as far as it goes....adding the NAS provides no access and login failures, even though correct ID and psw provided in configuration.

I am not utilizing UPnP option on DVR as I am afraid that the device would be broadcasting over Internet due to forwarded ports being open directly to Hikvision in China. I'm not enough of a network guru to know whether that is possible or not so I err on the cautious side.

What am I doing incorrectly? Anyone have any ideas?

My objective here is to have the system recording to two different devices in real time for redundancy and to safeguard evidence should someone decide they want my stuff badly enough to risk going to jail over it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreamboat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't have experience with ReadyNas exactly, but here are the steps needed to add NAS storage to your Hik DVR in general:

- Setup NFS in your NAS as read/write
- No user/pass for your NFS disk.
- check for correct path where your NFS disk is located, something like "/mnt/nfs_share"

If you have enough spare time and effords, you could play with the NAS support.. but i doubt you could get a fully working and relaible system over the time.
My personal advice is to go for a cheap NVR like 7616NI-E2 for a backup recording - it will be much more stable.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with ReadyNAS - but from looking at the specs it supports both SMB/CIFS and NFS networking protocols.
As @Dreamboat has specified - for your DS-7216HWI-SH DVR you will need to offer an NFS share with no username/password required to be added in the DVR NetHDD menu.
To add the share - you need to use the 'Search' button in the NetHDD menus. The location varies with firmware versions, but here is an example from new firmware. Add the IP address of the ReadyNAS, click Search, select the required share, then click Save.

Attachments

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dreamboat and alastairstevenson,
Thank you, Gentlemen!
I was almost there but could not figure out what I was doing wrong. Turns out that setting up the share on DVR requires exact case of share name characters. The NAS is "formatting" as I write this note of gratitude.
I hope that once the NAS has allocated space that I can set the NetHDD to redundant and cams video will be routed to both DVR internal HDDs and the NAS for the redundancy level I am seeking. It will also mean that I can relocate my NAS to a "hidden-in-plain-sight" location and a would-be burglar would never know they left evidence behind, even though they stole the DVR...that is my objective.

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, I spoke too soon...much too optimistic evidently. NAS was "formatted" but status showed "uninitiated" before I restarted the "initiate" process again.....I can see the "allocation" files by browsing the NAS NFS share.
I tried to load a screenprint but somehow it isn't taking very well.

Edit: NAS has "formatted" but it will not initialize. Mistakenly started the "initiate" process again. DVR IP address is set in the "root privilege-enabled hosts" field. Unable to remove NAS basic ID and password. There is no ID or password assigned to the NFS share.

Not sure why the NAS will not initiate if it "formats".....very, very frustrating to be so close and yet could be a million miles away with same results.

Attachments

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, I spoke too soon...much to optimistic evidently. NAS was "formatted" but status showed "uninitiated" before I restarted the "initiate" process again.....I can see the "allocation" files by browsing the NAS NFS share.
I tried to load a screenprint but somehow it isn't taking very well.
Oh, kewl!~ The document attached. Wonderful!

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't have experience with ReadyNas exactly, but here are the steps needed to add NAS storage to your Hik DVR in general:

- Setup NFS in your NAS as read/write
- No user/pass for your NFS disk.
- check for correct path where your NFS disk is located, something like "/mnt/nfs_share"

If you have enough spare time and effords, you could play with the NAS support.. but i doubt you could get a fully working and relaible system over the time.
My personal advice is to go for a cheap NVR like 7616NI-E2 for a backup recording - it will be much more stable.
I have a DVR doing recording now. I want to record to two locations in real time. I think the DVR has the capability. I'm just not smart enough to make it happen. And, the manual is almost worthless to someone who knows nothing about video cameras and recorders.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if it's suffering from the same 'volume maximum size limitation' that the cameras have/had (firmware version dependant) with a large NAS destination?
Certainly the symptoms are the same, and your volume size is over 2.5TB
Does the ReadyNAS have the ability to create shares/volumes of arbitrary size, where a smaller one may work?

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wonder if it's suffering from the same 'volume maximum size limitation' that the cameras have/had (firmware version dependant) with a large NAS destination?
Certainly the symptoms are the same, and your volume size is over 2.5TB
Does the ReadyNAS have the ability to create shares/volumes of arbitrary size, where a smaller one may work?
Yes, I can create a share and assign size as well as file structure/type/protocol such as NFS or CIFS, AFS, HTTP/HTTPS.
I deleted the "allocation" files and set a 1000 MB limit on existing directory to no avail. Yet the DVR reads NAS HDD capacity.
Created a new NFS share just off the root, set the 1000 MB quota - again, to no avail. Same thing with HDD capacity...it shows total of all HDDs capacity but the HDD shows a status of 'not initiated'.

As far as there being a limitation on HDD, there are Q2-2TB HDDs in the DVR.

What irritates me is being able to "allocate" [touch/manipulate the NAS HDDs] but not control them...it has to be either a permissions or credentialing thing. I just have to keep hammering away until I trip over the correct solution. Netgear support doesn't even list the NAS device anymore. This NAS must be prehistoric although I purchased it maybe 3-4 years ago. It sat idle for a year or so because it had failed...no power. I started digging, going through threads that were years old that presented a pattern of the power supplies blowing out on this model rather frequently. So, I took a chance figuring spending around $100 was much cheaper than spending $1000 for a new QNAP or Synology, and found a power supply, purchased it, and the damned thing actually came back to life. Unfortunately, the HDDs were blown when the power supply failed...no retrievable information.

Anyway, THANK YOU for your insights, Gentlemen!