Having trouble getting FTP to work on Hikvision

Clucky

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two iDS-2CD7A46G0/P-IZHSY LPR cameras from Hikvision that I need to have FTP setup on for license plate snapshots. I have an FTP server setup on the NAS (synology ds923) and was able to connect to it via a FTP client running on my phone. I was also able to have my shitty reolink cameras connect to this FTP server as well, as depicted below.

However the Hikvision cameras just won't pass the test. I also verified that the pictures are not uploading to the directory in the event that the test result was a false negative like this other post.

I really need to be able to upload plate snapshots to an FTP server as the SD card method is unreliable and inconvenient in general to use. I was having issues with the footage not being saved (even though its on continuous recording) and the SD cards randomly wiping themselves. I am ALSO having problems with getting these cameras to connect to my NAS via SMB. So as of now there is no way I can get these to record reliably.

unnamed.png

In case Hikvision wasn't buggy enough, I am also unable to update the firmware. It tells me there is a network problem when in fact there isn't. I am about to just remove this Chi-com shit and order UNV LPR cameras instead.

Hikvision Firmware upgrade failed error.png

Last edited:

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Because user perhaps dont have what error says permission to root folder which is CCTV, add child folder in ftp settings.

Only 1 level of child folder you can add. So Dont nest so much on your synology

Clucky

n3wb
Reaction score
So I need to make a new folder and have it use that as the child directory? I did that and it says "the device breaks down, contact support for troubleshooting". I even tried the anonymous login and it hilariously tells me the password is wrong. UH HIKVISION, ANONYMOUS LOGIN MEANS NO PASSWORD IS REQUIRED.

This shit is junk and I'm about to just swap it out. Hikvision would rather allocate resources on creating backdoors to spy on their customers rather than using that time spent on building a better product.

1711734940857.png

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Im sorry you feel that way, haven't had any problems with ftp so far. Did numerous ftp timed captures for timelapses.

Regarding update to 5.8.50, it wont go directly . there's a intermediate firmware that allow this firmware to take place. its around 90MB or EU portal. Thats why your upgrade fails around 60%.

Good luck whichever path you may choose!

ps: if you wanna ditch that camera, let me know for a price, this serie 7 is beast camera. Supports HEOP, plus its LPR ability is really really good.

Clucky

n3wb
Reaction score
ps: if you wanna ditch that camera, let me know for a price, this serie 7 is beast camera. Supports HEOP, plus its LPR ability is really really good.
I think I am going to swap out the the NAS first while I can still return it. I really want these cameras to work and its a shame that I can't get a name brand NAS to work right out of the box on two of the same cameras. Which models are proven to work for Hikvision?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Download Filezilla or Cyberduck and connect to the NAS via FTP like the camera would (same user). Attempt to upload a file to the directory, attempt to create a directory, attempt to delete a file. Observe any errors.

I'm not sure I trust windows explorer to give detailed error messages, but you could also ftp:/ / in the address bar of explorer.

You could also install the FileZilla server and attempt to FTP from the camera to your computer as a test.

Clucky

n3wb
Reaction score
Download Filezilla or Cyberduck and connect to the NAS via FTP like the camera would (same user). Attempt to upload a file to the directory, attempt to create a directory, attempt to delete a file. Observe any errors.

I'm not sure I trust windows explorer to give detailed error messages, but you could also ftp:/ / in the address bar of explorer.

You could also install the FileZilla server and attempt to FTP from the camera to your computer as a test.
That was one of the things that I first did. Only I used a generic FTP client for android and was able to connect using the same credentials. I also tried making an FTP server on my phone and was able to connect the Hikvision camera to it. So the problem might just be this Synology NAS not being compatible for whatever reason.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So the problem might just be this Synology NAS not being compatible for whatever reason.
It's probably just some setting on the NAS you're overlooking.

Clucky

n3wb
Reaction score
It's probably just some setting on the NAS you're overlooking.
1711987931891.png

Nope. Its just a shitty company called Hikvision that makes you have to use their proprietary products. I knew I should have spent double on the UNV LPR cameras. This is what happens you use this rubbish owned by the Chi-coms

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
View attachment 191142

Nope. Its just a shitty company called Hikvision that makes you have to use their proprietary products. I knew I should have spent double on the UNV LPR cameras. This is what happens you use this rubbish owned by the Chi-coms
To some extent that means Hikvision isn't going to help you make a 3rd party NAS work. I doesn't necessarily mean it can't work. If you post screenshots of more of the settings on your NAS, people on this forum may notice a setting you've overlooked.

The camera also likely supports SMB, you should also try that.
1711989339973.png

There can also be some quirks to different versions and encryption with this protocol.

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Idk man, haven't had any problems so far, if i did have, usually firmware update solved it (but never ftp problem).

I did tell you there is a intermediate firmware out there before 5.8.50. I didn't see any post you actually upgraded it or done anything but shitting on a brand where it might as well be a checkbox or two on synology part.

Dont get me wrong, hikvision as any other brand, got its bugs , and without doing anything you are unlikely to progress. Update firmware to 5.8.50 from 2024 and try again.

Working in a national distributer company , I do hear a lot of shitting on Hikvision , and for the most part(90%) its user ignorance , confirmed after connecting via TV or any remote. This is something that i state, please don't find yourself at gunpoint by this post, but rather to open your views about what can be done.

Last edited:

Clucky

n3wb
Reaction score
To some extent that means Hikvision isn't going to help you make a 3rd party NAS work. I doesn't necessarily mean it can't work. If you post screenshots of more of the settings on your NAS, people on this forum may notice a setting you've overlooked.

The camera also likely supports SMB, you should also try that.
View attachment 191149

There can also be some quirks to different versions and encryption with this protocol.

1712023501819.png

At this point it looks like the only option is to get a Hikvision NVR, but I don't know if you can host an FTP server on them or not. I mainly need a storage solution for FTP LPR snapshots, but also want continuous recordings for backup since plate recognition is never perfect.

Clucky

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone know of a third party NAS (like QNAP) that is able to be used as an FTP server for Hikvision? Their support is now indicating that they don't know what the hell they are talking about by saying that I need to use a third party FTP server running on windows - but not a third party NAS like Synology. I thought FTP is a universal protocol much like HTTP? What difference should it really make?

1712114122446.png

After asking if they have a solution for me besides me running some random software on a spare PC I have laying around, they went back to saying once again, the same thing I already confirmed that I already knew. ZERO comprehension.

1712114277886.png

I guess I should be gratefull that the LPR detection still work for email notifications. And 99% of the time the SD card doesn't become wiped when I login. But I want a storage solution a little more reliable than 99%. And Hikvision isn't eager to sell me on it either. I asked which NVRs support FTP and the last response was what I got instead. I bet you this is some indian and not even a real American. No name in the signature usually points to that.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried the NAS settings which use SMB/CIFS instead? If you run into problems with SMB, try setting your NAS so it doesn't require NTLMv3 authentication.

Also, regarding FTP, the camera has an option of SFTP/FTPS not just FTP, this secure version operates over SSH. You should try enabling and disabling it on your NAS and camera.

I still think it may be a permissions error on the NAS.

You seem more interested in whining about china than actually fixing this.

Last edited:

Clucky

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you tried the NAS settings which use SMB/CIFS instead? If you run into problems with SMB, try setting your NAS so it doesn't require NTLMv3 authentication.

Also, regarding FTP, the camera has an option of SFTP/FTPS not just FTP, this secure version operates over SSH. You should try enabling and disabling it on your NAS and camera.

I still think it may be a permissions error on the NAS.

You seem more interested in whining about china than actually fixing this.
I have all the permissions allowed for this user account and confirmed that even my reolink cameras could upload (those 3 PTZ text files). Their support is useless and tells me a contradicting statement that FTP and SMB/CIFS is not supported on third party NAS devices, while showing me a guide about using a third party FTP server application running on windows. I think I am just going to set up a thin client running an FTP server like they say, with the FTP directory being a folder on the NAS shared folder.

1712167488130.png1712167490954.png1712167493747.png

1712167439690.png1712167626649.png

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have all the permissions allowed for this user account and confirmed that even my reolink cameras could upload (those 3 PTZ text files). Their support is useless and tells me a contradicting statement that FTP and SMB/CIFS is not supported on third party NAS devices, while showing me a guide about using a third party FTP server application running on windows. I think I am just going to set up a thin client running an FTP server like they say, with the FTP directory being a folder on the NAS shared folder.
Under the permissions, try the custom box and try giving it every permission (equivalent to 777). Also, there may be different file system permissions per file / directory. Your pic shows user permissions.

One other idea, give it a different user, what if nas doesn't like concurrent sessions of same user (both cameras).

Last edited:

Clucky

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks but when I make a new account with all custom permissions enabled it tells me "username or password wrong" when I test. In the possibility that the test is wrong, I set up a timed snapshot to every second and verified that no snapshots were uploaded to the shared folder. No entries in the FTP log from the Hikvision camera either. I'm going to try setting up an FTP server on a spare computer and going that route. Unfortunately I have to stay with Hikvision on this one since the other LPR cameras dont have FTP upload and require you to have to login via web browser to view plate captures. So sadly these aren't going up for sale anytime soon.