Hdcvi or IP POE?

Reaction score
Trying to find out the differences in quality and installation for dahua hdcvi or IP starlights.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
First let me say I'm simply a hobbyist, not a Pro installer.
As to image quality specifically, effectively no difference if comparing like models of Dahua cameras. For instance Starlight CVI cams mostly use the same sensor as their IP Starlight counterparts. Are there certain features that some IP cams have that CVI cams don't yes, a few. The biggest single missing feature with CVI cams is not having the ability to have separate Day/Night schedule with different Exposure settings, though there are ways to imitate this.

I run CVI cameras at 3 homes, also have a number of IP cams I manage.

As to installation, the advantage goes slightly to IP cams as you can run a number of cameras to a single switch and then only one or fewer lines back to the NVR. With CVI, all cameras have to terminate back to the NVR/XVR. Though on small residential homes, I dont think it makes that much difference. By the way, you can run CVI cams on Cat5 as well as coax as I did, you simply have to add a $3 video balun at each end.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Installing cvi on a new run is ridiculous. There are many advantages to IP including SD card backup. No need to home run cable. Direct integration with VMS software test run circles around any standalone NVR.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
You still need a some kind of power supply to power those CVI cams be it power brick or central power supply, Power still has to run over that cat 5 cable through a balun as @bigredfish said. I have done it both ways and for a new install I like to use IP Cameras.

Reaction score
I've noticed the Cvi has larger MP cameras with starlight and lux at 005. The IP cameras mainly 2mp at low lux only and 4mp at like 05/06 lux.

I'm dealing with a 45ft 3 car driveway that I want to be able to zoom on later and not have a lot of grain/pixel issues.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
For a driveway like that you'll need at least 2 crossing cameras, and suggest look at the 52XX series IP Starlight cams. 5X zoom should handle it fine. 2MP Starlights (CVI OR IP) are still the best value/performance choice for good nighttime video. More MP doesnt translate to better nighttime image.

Reaction score
@bigredfish

The lux on the turret CVI 8mp is 005 and starlight tech. I agree higher res doesn't translate into better night time but with LED lights on the garage at 1k lumens, I think it would pick up the color and clarity.

I need a camera that will allow me to zoom in digitally and not lose the clarity at 30-40ft. I have some stuff in the garage that is rather valuable.

I'm not opposed to spending a little $$ on a good 4-5 camera system but I am lost in the dark with all of this (no pun intended) ...whether go POE or CVI...

Reaction score
I tried some of all. Spent money on CVI even a tribrid. Ultimately ended up IP all POE. Now working on access point to link 3 locations for added redundancy. Gave away my initial attempts. IP is (to me) more flexible with more options. Next step is working on setting up BI!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I dont think your main concern should be IP vs CVI with regards to image quality. Though as others have mentioned above, there are other differences between the two types you should consider.

You want a camera that can see well out to 45ft with enough zoom to get good ID day and night.
You want OPTICAL zoom, not Digital zoom.
The 5X or 12X zoom models in the 52XX series 2MP IP Starlights OR for that matter the 4X-12X zoom models on the CVI 3231 series, will both give you that. Increasing to 8MP (IP OR CVI) will not generally perform as well at night as the 2MP Starlights. Daytime yes, an advantage to the 8MP but not at night. I know this is counter intuitive but its true.

BTW - 1000 lumens isnt all that much. I have TWO 1600 lumen bulbs in the coachlights facing my driveway and I'm adding more.... You need a bunch of white light if you want to try and run color at night. You'll see I keep one camera in forced color and the other I let default to B&W with IR

(Be sure to change the Youtube player to 1080P)