HDMI extender issue?

larrymort

n3wb
Reaction score
Not true, 4K thru 300' of CAT5e is no problem - all depends upon the HDMI Tx & Rx specs.
Oh missed this reply. Ok I'll give it another shot with better HDMI cables. Getting a much clearer idea now with all the input

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh missed this reply. Ok I'll give it another shot with better HDMI cables. Getting a much clearer idea now with all the input
HDMI Tx & Rx = transmitter & receiver, not cable related.
Cables are easily tested - connect a 4K source directly to your 4K TV using test cables.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
is an old hdmi cable? Check if is rated at high speed, normally HDMI 1.4 or higher.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Lurking around at this scene....I'll just sit back and watch...I have a Nightowl HD10xxxx DVR....I had to use the provided "Nightowl HD" windows software, and download it and connect via IP on one pc/monitor, and the VGA out to the other monitor. Somewhat different hardware, but I'm getting 2 feeds from one DVR in a roundabout way.....
Hopefully he can reach a "resolution" for this...:)

larrymort

n3wb
Reaction score
ok i got my nvr resolution settings back to 1080p,
and now ive tried bringing the 1080p monitor down to the kitchen, seeing how i was able to get this extender to work in the master bedroom with the exact same set up. (orei extender 1080p hdmi cables)
his monitor does not work in the kitchen with either cat5 cable..super strange. and we've tested both of the cat5 cables down here, they both give off full 8 light signals on the tester.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Just in case you made the same bad assumption I did, on the cable tester you need to check the lights on both ends of the cable. One end can show perfectly good while the other end doesn't.

larrymort

n3wb
Reaction score
Just in case you made the same bad assumption I did, on the cable tester you need to check the lights on both ends of the cable. One end can show perfectly good while the other end doesn't.
Thanks for pointing that out but we had a person on each end in this case.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
And I thought I was the only one wiring to the 568A standard.
568B was the apparent "Norm" in the industry in 2007 when I terminated cabling for Prime Communications subbing for GE Healthcare and Datascope, and also new construction healthcare. I did run into hospitals were 568A was the building infrastructure, but the Networks we were building were independent of their infrastucture cabling so we terminated 568B. I was told to terminate 568A once in Milwaukee.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
And I thought I was the only one wiring to the 568A standard.
Looks like there are at least 3 of us. That's how I started a few years back and don't want to confuse myself having some wires one way, and others different. When I attach connectors where 568B is used, I temporary reprogram myself that green is orange, and orange is green.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like there are at least 3 of us. That's how I started a few years back and don't want to confuse myself having some wires one way, and others different. When I attach connectors where 568B is used, I temporary reprogram myself that green is orange, and orange is green.
I was reading somewhere that the Gigabit Spec incorporates "auto crossover" into it's standard, and that equipment with gigabit ports will automagically auto-crossover 568a 568b connections.

larrymort

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, I had my security installer rewire my cat5es to 568B to test it out, even though he insisted it wouldn't make any difference and that he'd be surprised if it worked. The prewire tech said it wouldn't work either, but low and behold it did. Worked right off the bat and have a solid crisp picture all day long.
Thanks a ton to you guys here nudging me in the right direction. Otherwise these guys would never think of it, and I'd never know what on earth 568abc or d is. Was almost to the point of ripping the drywall to run HDMI.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey guys, I had my security installer rewire my cat5es to 568B to test it out, even though he insisted it wouldn't make any difference and that he'd be surprised if it worked. The prewire tech said it wouldn't work either, but low and behold it did. Worked right off the bat and have a solid crisp picture all day long.
Thanks a ton to you guys here nudging me in the right direction. Otherwise these guys would never think of it, and I'd never know what on earth 568abc or d is. Was almost to the point of ripping the drywall to run HDMI.
Glad it worked out for you. Makes you wonder about certain skill sets of so-called licenced tradies. Was he (or she) embarrassed that you suggested the fix?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The HDMI cables I'm using are these 1m 1080p monster cables. Not sure if it's just marketing gimmick stuff but probably better than the stuff I have laying around the house.
Should I try 4k HDMI cables if I still want to attempt this 4k monitor or does the cat5e makes it pointless?
If you look at the manuals for most of these extenders, they specifically recommend the 568b standard rather than 568a and that is why I suggested it earlier. It is also possible that it was not properly wired to the 568a standard to begin with.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Most are clueless, that is why this forum exists.
Boy, you got that right.
I don't know how many places we have went in and re-terminated all of the wiring, and it all worked when done right.
As long as the sheet rockers don't damage it, it's all good.
I have found out you can use a pair from one cat 5 and a second one from another cat 5 and make it work at 100m.
That's was all of the pairs that were not damaged.