HDMI extender issue?

larrymort

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey everyone, new member here.
Firstly want to thank everyone for the wealth of knowledge shared here that I've been able to lurk on, and now I've encountered an issue I cant seem to find an answer for.
My house is pre-wired with cat5 to 2 monitor locations. The cat5 was ran instead of hdmi because the low-volt tech had many issues in the past with drywallers damaging his cables.
Im using an NVR5232-16P-4kS2 from Andy.
The smart panel with nvr is in an upper west room, monitor is directly below it in the kitchen. 2nd monitor is on the upper floor(same as nvr) down the hallway in the master bedroom on the other side of the house.
Being cat5 cables, I'm forced to use hdmi extenders, which i have no experience with, but seem to be very much plug and play.
The monitor in the kitchen is a 3840x2160 30fps resolution and master bed monitor is 1920x1080, although the low-volt tech says this is irrelevant to my issue.
Even though ,when i toggle resolution settings on the nvr between the two, it makes either or monitor incompatible...i've had a moment where the 4k monitor worked with 1080p reso, so i leave the nvr on 1080p resolution
So, the problem is, i cant get the 4k monitor working in the kitchen working for the life of me.. I've been pulling out my hair for a week, and have tried every configuration imaginable
switching hdmi cables
shorter hdmi cables
checking connections
toggling resolution and trying to get each individual monitor working on their compatible resolutions.
tested the cat5 cables and all were receiving perfect signal
tried 7 different hdmi extenders (single and double port) capable of 1080p and one 4k extender. The monitor distances arent even the length of the minimum specs, and all the same results from them.
moving monitors to the diff locations. -1080p monitor in the kitchen i had picture for a moment with some flicker but ultimately went black, but it is stable and works in the master room which it is intended for.
-4k monitor Ive had zero luck in the kitchen. when i called low volt tech to take a look, we plugged it in from scratch and it worked instantly, and had a crystal clear picture... i was baffled..but as soon as he left (15mins later) it went black again.
its like when you bring your car in to the mechanic for a problem, then it stops doing it when they inspect it...
i just realized i havent tried the 4k monitor in the master bedroom, and that maybe it will indicate whether or not the monitor is the issue. because the 1080p one works fine there.

The low-volt tech is stumped and suggests using VGA extender instead, and then convert it to DP because my monitor doesnt even have a VGA port. Im worried about the picture suffering with that route.
Hopefully i didnt leave out any critical information to help diagnose this and someone else here has experienced a similar situation.

Thanks

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have used this splitter with good luck.

You have to remember, the splitter will only work with the lowest resolution monitor plugged in to it.
If you want 4K, you will have to buy all 4k monitors, and 4k extenders. From my experience,
1080p is good enough to see what's going on. If you need to examine closer you will be replaying the
video, and zooming in on the area you want to see.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
could you please provide the brand and model of your hdmi extender?

larrymort

n3wb
Reaction score
I have used this splitter with good luck.

You have to remember, the splitter will only work with the lowest resolution monitor plugged in to it.
If you want 4K, you will have to buy all 4k monitors, and 4k extenders. From my experience,
1080p is good enough to see what's going on. If you need to examine closer you will be replaying the
video, and zooming in on the area you want to see.
Thanks for the quick reply.
The extender I'm using now is actually the same brand as you are.
It works fine for the 1080p in the master with the 1080p monitor, I'm going to bring it into the kitchen to see if it works there. I've even had momentary success with it on the 4k monitor while the tech was with me.
I've tried a 4k extender with the 4k monitor with no luck.
I'm ok with 1080p resolution, it's just that this monitor happens to be 4k and it's been purchased already.. kind of stuck with it.
Now I'm dealing with black screen on both screens because I tried 4k resolution@60fps on the NVR and trying to figure out how to get in to switch it back.

larrymort

n3wb
Reaction score
could you please provide the brand and model of your hdmi extender?
Oh man..ok let's see..
All purchased off Amazon as options seem to be very limited locally.
GHT model ht202p tried 2 diff ones
Mypin model pc000234-ncfba
AvAccess model 4kex70-L
Pwaytek model GuangDa
Orei model hd12-e132-k

Actually it's 6 I've tried..feels like 7 lol

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What model HDMI D/A (splitter) are you using?
What specific cable was installed? You mention CAT5, but is it CAT5e, CAT6, etc?
Some of the extenders you listed are not rated at 4K, that resolution from the NVRs will not work.
Others mentioned are rated for CAT6A & better - won't work with CAT6 cable and below.

For manufacturers, I prefer: Crestron, Extron, Kramer, C2G, Hall Research, StarTech, Altona.

larrymort

n3wb
Reaction score
What model HDMI D/A (splitter) are you using?
What specific cable was installed? You mention CAT5, but is it CAT5e, CAT6, etc?
Some of the extenders you listed are not rated at 4K, that resolution from the NVRs will not work.
Others mentioned are rated for CAT6A & better - won't work with CAT6 cable and below.

For manufacturers, I prefer: Crestron, Extron, Kramer, C2G, Hall Research, StarTech, Altona.
I'm not using an HDMI splitter at the moment. I was just trying to get the main monitor up first.
It was a cat5e that was prewired.
The orei extender works fine with the 1080p monitor in the master bed location and this extender states cat6 and above.
My tech says there's should be no difference in the cat cable rating as it's only the guage of the cable or something I think he said.. Is he blowing smoke?

larrymort

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not using an HDMI splitter at the moment. I was just trying to get the main monitor up first.
The orei extender works fine with the 1080p monitor in the master bed location and this extender states cat6 and above.
My tech says there's should be no difference in the cat cable rating as it's only the guage of the cable or something I think he said.. Is he blowing smoke?
Some of the HDMI extenders I've used listing specs do state that they support cat5e/cat6

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your tech is clueless, CAT cable types dictate the speed & bandwidth transmission & also shielding & jacket type. Difference between CAT5 & CAT7 is comparable to water flow from a garden hose vs. water from a fire hose.

I recommend setting your NVR to 1080p, then (one at a time) confirm video to each monitor.
If signal is good to each monitor, then insert the HDMI splitter to send video to both monitors.
Some of your extenders have EDID settings - also ensure this is set to 1080p.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
He has problems with the dry wallers damaging cables because he's not properly protecting them when he installs.

Since he doesn't know the difference's between cat 5e and cat 6, one has to wonder what else doesn't he know.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
He has problems with the dry wallers damaging cables because he's not properly protecting them when he installs.

Since he doesn't know the difference's between cat 5e and cat 6, one has to wonder what else doesn't he know.
Could very well be. A cheap Ethernet tester would be a big help testing both the cables in the wall, and the crimps on
the ends. Any problems with the cables, will be multiplied when going to higher resolution. The difference between a
cat 5 cable and cat 6 is the difference in you walking and riding in a sports car! you tech is trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This NVR has only one HDMI output. If you are lucky enough to get a stable signal over the cat 5e on a single monitor, you probably won't have any luck when you try to add a splitter (especially with one 1080p and one 4k monitor on the splitter).

I have a drawer full of HDMI extenders that are not rated HDBaseT. These are all junk (imo) and will not work reliably. Buy cheap and you get cheap.

As you only have cat 5e, save yourself a lot of grief and don't even try to extend a 4k signal. Regardless of what the off brand manufacturers may say, you will not get a stable result.

You need a combo splitter/extender (and one that is HDBaseT). I have had good luck with monoprice (as their price for HDBaseT is not crazy). This one will work fine:

Note I am assuming the cat 5e is terminated correctly and the cable tested with a real (ie name brand (Fluke, Klien, etc)) tester after terminating.

larrymort

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the helpful information so far. I overlooked the edid switches, I'll make sure it's set to 1080p.

thats what i implied when i questioned him using cat5 instead of hdmi. Hard to push any further than that having little to no experience with this stuff though.

larrymort

n3wb
Reaction score
Could very well be. A cheap Ethernet tester would be a big help testing both the cables in the wall, and the crimps on
the ends. Any problems with the cables, will be multiplied when going to higher resolution. The difference between a
cat 5 cable and cat 6 is the difference in you walking and riding in a sports car! you tech is trying to pull the wool over your eyes.
we tested all 4 cat5e cables with the ethernet tester. he ran a spare to each location.
all but 1 cable seemed to be working fine. the device has 8 lights that light up one after another.

larrymort

n3wb
Reaction score
This NVR has only one HDMI output. If you are lucky enough to get a stable signal over the cat 5e on a single monitor, you probably won't have any luck when you try to add a splitter (especially with one 1080p and one 4k monitor on the splitter).

I have a drawer full of HDMI extenders that are not rated HDBaseT. These are all junk (imo) and will not work reliably. Buy cheap and you get cheap.

As you only have cat 5e, save yourself a lot of grief and don't even try to extend a 4k signal. Regardless of what the off brand manufacturers may say, you will not get a stable result.

You need a combo splitter/extender (and one that is HDBaseT). I have had good luck with monoprice (as their price for HDBaseT is not crazy). This one will work fine:

Note I am assuming the cat 5e is terminated correctly and the cable tested with a real (ie name brand (Fluke, Klien, etc)) tester after terminating.
Im starting to settle on having just the one monitor on the main floor as long as it works.
The monoprice combo is still a little out of my price range than id like, just to get a picture to my monitors, seeing how im still struggling with the fact he ran cat5e when he could have just ran hdmi.

I will try to bring the 1080p monitor to the main again with correct edid settings once i figure out how to adjust resolution settings on 2 black monitors lol.
cant even login to the ip on my browser for some reason. hoping vga will cables will bring the display back up once they arrive today.

thanks again for all the helpful insight guys. appreciate it

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
If you have both a VGA and a HDMI port out of the NVR, and can set them separate, set the VGA at 1080p
and the HDMI for the 4k monitor. Then use a converter on the VGA to convert it to 1080 HDMI for the bedroom.
It would be a 50/50 if it would work, so if you want to play......

larrymort

n3wb
Reaction score
If you have both a VGA and a HDMI port out of the NVR, and can set them separate, set the VGA at 1080p
and the HDMI for the 4k monitor. Then use a converter on the VGA to convert it to 1080 HDMI for the bedroom.
It would be a 50/50 if it would work, so if you want to play......
Yeah that's sort of the direction I was heading in except from what @Ford mentioned trying to get 4k out of cat5e might be a waste of time.
I will use the HDMI for 1080p in the bedroom and try to get 1080p with VGA on the 4k monitor.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
not only the quality of the hdmi extender is important, but also the quality of the short hdmi cable used to connect both source and display. I understand you are using AvAccess, model 4kEX70-L, which use HDBaseT technology. Never used, but looks OK. Double check the CAT cable terminals. I always use Vanco products when transmitting between two points, never had any issues . If possible, use at least CAT6, shielded and high speed (short) hdmi cables

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah that's sort of the direction I was heading in except from what @Ford mentioned trying to get 4k out of cat5e might be a waste of time.
I will use the HDMI for 1080p in the bedroom and try to get 1080p with VGA on the 4k monitor.
Not true, 4K thru 300' of CAT5e is no problem - all depends upon the HDMI Tx & Rx specs.

larrymort

n3wb
Reaction score
not only the quality of the hdmi extender is important, but also the quality of the short hdmi cable used to connect both source and display. I understand you are using AvAccess, model 4kEX70-L, which use HDBaseT technology. Never used, but looks OK. Double check the CAT cable terminals. I always use Vanco products when transmitting between two points, never had any issues . If possible, use at least CAT6, shielded and high speed (short) hdmi cables
The HDMI cables I'm using are these 1m 1080p monster cables. Not sure if it's just marketing gimmick stuff but probably better than the stuff I have laying around the house.
Should I try 4k HDMI cables if I still want to attempt this 4k monitor or does the cat5e makes it pointless?