HDMI over CAT5

justFred

n3wb
Reaction score
My NVR his hidden in an attic space and I like to have the console wired to my main TV.

I have had HDMI over CAT5 converters for this purpose. I have used the JTech converters and have tried the Avedio converters. My problem is: they just don't last. One lasted a year... the other only about 3 months.

Does anyone have any better advice how to do this? Or a recommendation for a brand that will work long term? There is just no way to run new cables in the wall in question. I have CAT5 in place as well as a spare coax. NVR output and TV input is HDMI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My NVR his hidden in an attic space and I like to have the console wired to my main TV.

I have had HDMI over CAT5 converters for this purpose. I have used the JTech converters and have tried the Avedio converters. My problem is: they just don't last. One lasted a year... the other only about 3 months.

Does anyone have any better advice how to do this? Or a recommendation for a brand that will work long term? There is just no way to run new cables in the wall in question. I have CAT5 in place as well as a spare coax. NVR output and TV input is HDMI.
Try the tripp lite units

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you think excessive heat in the attic is a contributing factor in the failures? If so, is it possible to get the HDMI-to-CAT5 adapter out of the attic by using a short HDMI cable from the NVR to just below the attic area into a cooler closet or garage, then get the CAT-5 down to it?

justFred

n3wb
Reaction score
The attic is insulated at the roof line with foam... so the attic is actually quite cool. It is usually within about 5 degrees F of the house temperature. Max temp up there is probably 80F.

hikwpg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've used the Vanco extenders for years.
Very few failures.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

justFred

n3wb
Reaction score
Try the tripp lite units
Hmmm... Looking through Amazon reviews, I see a fairly high percentage of "quit in about a year." I'm fine with paying Tripp Lite prices for something that works forever, but there are enough questionable reviews there that I am a little bit nervous.