HDW4431C-A : Doorway Camera?

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This will be my first real camera after experimenting with an amcrest .

I am looking for a camera to serve over my front door. My front yard and entry way is well lit at all times, from a few sources.

Porch depth is five feet. Cieling is about nine feet.

I will attach a photo of the area.

If not this camera, which one?

Last edited by a moderator:

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im planning on using the same cam, 2.8mm, for my doorway. 2.8 will give me enough coverage to see in the peripheral and is good enough to see faces that come up to the door. Having built in audio is nice.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do be careful with audio recording. Certain states require both parties consent to record audio. I would think that is an excellent camera for that application. I am planning on using that same camera also in the 2.8mm lens size for that same application.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Don't know but that camera is good as a shoulder level camera to get good face pics. Useless in the dark but you have a lot of lighting.

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My install locations exclude the brick. I'd just as soon get a door bell type camera.... looking for a very sleek install.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If it's going up in the corner then 3.6mm HDW4431C-A. I'm assuming there is no wall sticking out on the left of the photo.

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Correct. The wall ends. The column is decorative.

To the left of the lamp, the porch continues. Cameras can be discreetly installed here.

One at least to watch doorway. Further down I want to watch Front yard and driveway
.. and something that will reach out to intersection. (Corner lot).

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll be different and recommend a Hik 4526 mounted to the ceiling flush to the wall to the right of the door. Lower wouldn't hurt but I tend to avoid drilling brick if it's not necessary. With halfway decent lighting a 4526 in colour at night is awesome.

vyolette

n3wb
Reaction score
20160828_111441.jpg
Similar porch, same camera w/ a 2.8mm lens, just installed yesterday. Only default settings and my date/time is 12 hours off so this was 11pm. It's nice, audio is good, I need to change the angle slightly. Yes my porch is a mess, lol. I hope this helps.

Also, it's pitch black outside. Peeking out the window I can't see those plants at all.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd angle that 2.8 away from the house. Too much bright white on the left is screwing up the exposure in the area you want the most. If the 2.8 is too wide to avoid the white then maybe switch to 4mm. Varifocal is handy in situations like these where it's hard to guess the right lens in advance.

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
View attachment 12844
Similar porch, same camera w/ a 2.8mm lens, just installed yesterday. Only default settings and my date/time is 12 hours off so this was 11pm. It's nice, audio is good, I need to change the angle slightly. Yes my porch is a mess, lol. I hope this helps.

Also, it's pitch black outside. Peeking out the window I can't see those plants at all.
That is very kind of you to offer. Thank you.

Just seeing goofy angles on a lot of installs. I understand having a general view but I have desires to ID, too.

Have any daytime shots?

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
HDW ones have fixed lens. so you need to turn the cam a bit, but you can also modify the night view settings. But then you need to switch from normal profil to day / night. Most Users means, the wider the angle the better, but in fact less is more if you need to identify something and next is the ir coverage becomes difficult.
This cam has one of the best coverage for 2,8mm i have ever seen with 110° view but it has only nearly 100% coverage of 3.6mm.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
View attachment 12844

Rotate the ball camera bit 90 degrees and then adjust in your web-gui to rotate. You will get 10x the picture by eliminating that massive white reflection on the left. Trust me and give it a whirl then re-post.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd angle that 2.8 away from the house. Too much bright white on the left is screwing up the exposure in the area you want the most. If the 2.8 is too wide to avoid the white then maybe switch to 4mm. Varifocal is handy in situations like these where it's hard to guess the right lens in advance.
I hate to quote myself from higher up in this thread but for this install 3.6mm (4mm not made by Dahua Kawboy12R) is what is needed for both installs. It's perfect for corners.

2.8mm 4MP is a massive mistake in the corner, especially with a turret style camera.

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hate to quote myself from higher up in this thread but for this install 3.6mm (4mm not made by Dahua Kawboy12R) is what is needed for both installs. It's perfect for corners.

2.8mm 4MP is a massive mistake in the corner, especially with a turret style camera.

I am paying attention delBoy.

On a slow boat from China, are five cameras from bullets to turrets and 2.8 to 12mm.

No holes have been punched, no wire laid.

Would you see a 2.8 atop the front door being better? And that wide AOV is to be put to use, hoping to watch walkway leading up to door.

I'll experiment .

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll experiment .
You can't beat that. 2.8mm 4MP in a corner is too wide. 2.8mm above a door will be ok but really need another camera covering that area from somewhere else. You simply can't beat multiple coverage.

Post screenshots etc and we will help.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree Del Boy. Not a big fan personally of 2.8mm most of the time. I tend to say 4mm interchangeably with 3.6. More or less the same thing. And since I'd already advised a high end Hik over cheaper Dahua alternatives then why not? :)

sumguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll be different and recommend a Hik 4526 mounted to the ceiling flush to the wall to the right of the door. Lower wouldn't hurt but I tend to avoid drilling brick if it's not necessary. With halfway decent lighting a 4526 in colour at night is awesome.
Do you mean the DS-2CD4526FWD ? A camera that costs over $500? And it's a PZT, which is wasted on that location.