HDW5541H-AS-PV vs HDW2431TM-AS2

Gilera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi. Just wondering if anyone can comment on general quality differences in the image of these two cameras. I have one HDW2431 and it seems good for the money. It is an outdoor Installation and I am using Milestone Xprotect. The only minor issue I have found is wind noise in the mic and audio is a big part of my requirements.

The 5441H is similar price point but don't need sirens and 2 way audio. Am I just paying for stuff I don't need without any improvement in the important stuff like image quality

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do go into 5Mpx - they have small sensor...
Choose something from 5442 / 5449.

look always for sensor size - it should be 1/1.8" (or 1/1.2") if You want good night performance...

4Mpx in 1/1.8" size is a benchmark - it gives best image (especially at night) per cost & low levels of problems.
there are 8Mpx models with bigger 1/1.2" sensor and F/1.0 aperture, which gives even more light - but they have big problems with depth of focus & optic sharpness (too big sensor & aperture create bokeh, like on profesional DLSR & non-mirror cameras)

Check: Are the 5442's still best? or time for 4k variants...

If You need good audio performance 5442H (not E) bullets have dual mic system. I don't remember any turrets with dual mic..

Last edited:

Gilera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Steve.

What are the real world benefits of dual mics? I didn't know they existed in ip cameras. Would potentially help with wind noise? I have considered stepping up to the 5442.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What are the real world benefits of dual mics? I didn't know they existed in ip cameras. Would potentially help with wind noise? I have considered stepping up to the 5442.
In normal smartphones and bluetooth headphones/speakers, dual or triple mic setups are used for noise canceling and better "catching" voice...

From WizMind-S page on dahua website:

Dual Mic - Supports max. 18m and 80dB single sound source pickup.

5442H comparing to 5442E cost much more (it have optics with huge aperture F/1.2 and chassis from Ultra 7xxx series). I can't answer is it worth it for same audio.

Gilera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks again. The 5442h does look like a nice camera but yes, does seem to be more quite a bit more expensive and not as easily available. I do like the sound of that long range audio but I guess hard to say if it would suffer from wind noise just as badly as the 2431.

The 5442 I have been looking at is hdw5442tm-ase for about $200. I was originally considering the varifocal hdw2431t-zs-s2 for about $150 but if I can commit to a fixed lens size then the 5442 seems to be quite a step up from what everyone says about the 1/1.8" sensor and I may be able to get the FOV I need from the 3.6mm. It's a difficult choice not knowing how much better it really is. I'm guessing the audio will be the same as the 2431.