Are the 5442's still best? or time for 4k variants...

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a few 5442 series cameras running in areas without any artificial light, are the later 4k x series cameras now better, stocks seem limited. Sorry, out of touch and being a bit lazy!

Looking for very best night and day performance, cost not too much of an issue.

Thanks in advance

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 5442 series is still the best.

What folks are realizing after spending time with the 4K variants is that their depth of focus is very shallow and very defined and anything short or long of that will be blurry.

The 4K variants many folks are realizing is that they make great OVERVIEW cams to get color of stuff, but if you want IDENTIFY, unless you are within the range of focus for your field of view, the 5442 is still the king.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a few 5442 series cameras running in areas without any artificial light, are the later 4k x series cameras now better, stocks seem limited. Sorry, out of touch and being a bit lazy!

Looking for very best night and day performance, cost not too much of an issue.

Thanks in advance
The new 4k cams with the 1/1.2 sensors perform well in both day and low light conditions.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for the feedback, seems like I will have to try out one of the 4k variants for curiosity. Not used any of the colour at night cameras yet, not easy to identify the current 4k models from the Dahua site! Seems like stock isn't easy to come by, shall have a dig around for the 5442 and 4k both locally and with Andy.

Guess the good news is that the 5442 series still looks like a winner, I've been pretty impressed with them both daytime and at night with just IR illumination.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Fortunately or unfortunately, I don't own a 4K cam. I do however own several 5442 F=1.0 cams. And their factory focusing seems a lot more delicate and prone to error (aka blur) than the previous lens generation with less wide open lenses. And I know from Photography that bigger sensors (1/1.2" vs 1/1.8") do not make focusing easier.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Fortunately or unfortunately, I don't own a 4K cam. I do however own several 5442 F=1.0 cams. And their factory focusing seems a lot more delicate and prone to error (aka blur) than the previous lens generation with less wide open lenses. And I know from Photography that bigger sensors (1/1.2" vs 1/1.8") do not make focusing easier.
That is a very interesting observation, thanks for feedback :thumb:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a very interesting observation, thanks for feedback :thumb:
Its nonsense...They would be nuts to ship a bunch of out of focus cameras - it would result in many returns. The depth of field may be longer for the F=1.0 cameras so you will need to be further out for a super crisp image.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Assuming the focus error mentioned above was reference to subject moving, focus being slow to react or similar? maybe not.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you know that the 4k-x doesn't pick up IR light? I think this would drive the 5442 vs. 4k-x decision for whatever the specific situation is.
Yes indeed, appreciate the heads up though. It was looking like maybe Dahua and Hikvision were pushing the non-IR cameras, they see this as the future due to better ID of suspects, vehicles etc. I have some locations which the colour cameras would work well, others maybe not so much.

Been nothing but impressed with the 5442 series, particularly the HFW5442EP-ZE which I find to be such a flexible camera. Also has best IR of all the Dahua range I have used, except for maybe the PTZ!

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have several of the varifocal 5442 cameras, and they have been the best all around camera, especially in low-light situations. However, for the heck of it I bought a 6mm 5442 to try in place of the varifocal 5442, and it is so much better. Not only can it see better in the darkness of my driveway, only illuminated by the built-in IR, but the IR light is a much softer wider beam than the varifocal's IR light. My Color 4K-X cameras are the champs at night if there is any light at all, but if you are relying on IR, get a varifocal 5442, check the field of view after you set it up and then replace it with either a 2.8, 3.6, 0r 6mm. You won't be sorry. I'll probably replace all my varifocals now that I know how much better the fixed lens cameras work.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Its nonsense...They would be nuts to ship a bunch of out of focus cameras - it would result in many returns. The depth of field may be longer for the F=1.0 cameras so you will need to be further out for a super crisp image.
Well, everyone feel free to look at the nonsense here:

The camera in question there uses the 1/1.8" sensor on a 3.6mm f=1.0 lens. Same as mine.
The "welcome sign" on the other side of the road is surely far enough to be in the depth of field. Super crisp? Not in my book.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, everyone feel free to look at the nonsense here:

The camera in question there uses the 1/1.8" sensor on a 3.6mm f=1.0 lens. Same as mine.
The "welcome sign" on the other side of the road is surely far enough to be in the depth of field. Super crisp? Not in my book.
There are plenty of 5442 cameras that look the same way out of the thousands they ship there are some that are not properly focused. .... I personally have a 5442 that was not focused properly from the factory. The factory focus is not always perfect but you have zero data to compare the two... Other than a single image posted from a camera that is completely different than the one I'm describing. You have linked to a dual lens camera. It's nonsense to claim that they're all like that or else they would be returned. There are other brands like hike vision who also have similar setups to say they're all like that is false but understandable because of your limited experience with these cams. In fact you have zero experience with a camera in question.
Your inexperience explains why you point to a camera that has a dual lens do you even understand what that means? And why he's hitting the calibration button... It's a completely different design...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Most importantly the linked camera uses two 1/1.8 sensors....

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The factory focus is not always perfect but you have zero data to compare the two...
I have two copies of the same 2.8mm camera. And their focus is adjusted differently. I can easily set them up next to each other and see through one and the other. One cam has the depth of field nearer to the cam than the other. So there is quite some difference between them. This doesn't bother me, as it is actually beneficial for my different uses. They are very nice lenses. But they demonstrate the variability in factory focus settings. And with f=1.0 lenses, you don't have much tolerance, because the DOF is short. I also have a slightly blurry 3.6mm camera of the same F=1.0 series (worse picture). So I have three of these F=1.0 cams.
Most importantly the linked camera uses two 1/1.8 sensors....
Not even that. It uses different size sensors. Later models use same size sensors. During the day, the image quality does not change if you block the IR lens or not ... just read on, there are sample pics. And the D2 uses the same color optics than my lens uses.

Last edited:

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have several of the varifocal 5442 cameras, and they have been the best all around camera, especially in low-light situations. However, for the heck of it I bought a 6mm 5442 to try in place of the varifocal 5442, and it is so much better. Not only can it see better in the darkness of my driveway, only illuminated by the built-in IR, but the IR light is a much softer wider beam than the varifocal's IR light. My Color 4K-X cameras are the champs at night if there is any light at all, but if you are relying on IR, get a varifocal 5442, check the field of view after you set it up and then replace it with either a 2.8, 3.6, 0r 6mm. You won't be sorry. I'll probably replace all my varifocals now that I know how much better the fixed lens cameras work.
Thanks, yes I have a couple of 2.8mm 5442's and would probably say the image looks a bit sharper than the varifocal, if you want to spread the IR wider, try using some diffuser film/vinyl, otherwise known as frosted glass film :thumb: it works a treat.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have two copies of the same 2.8mm camera. And their focus is adjusted differently. I can easily set them up next to each other and see through one and the other. One cam has the depth of field nearer to the cam than the other. So there is quite some difference between them. This doesn't bother me, as it is actually beneficial for my different uses. They are very nice lenses. But they demonstrate the variability in factory focus settings. And with f=1.0 lenses, you don't have much tolerance, because the DOF is short. I also have a slightly blurry 3.6mm camera of the same F=1.0 series (worse picture). So I have three of these F=1.0 cams.

Not even that. It uses different size sensors. Later models use same size sensors. During the day, the image quality does not change if you block the IR lens or not ... just read on, there are sample pics. And the D2 uses the same color optics than my lens uses.
Again you have linked to the WRONG camera, this is not the single lens 1/1.2" cameras that I referenced. You are simply mistaken and confused. You are comparing an old design of a dual lens camera posted 3 years ago when the camera had different sized sensors and the camera needs to use firmware to focus, and claiming that it proves that a single lens camera with a 1/1.2 sensor will be blurry. Simply idiotic. FYI you can adjust the fixed lens focus if it is not to your liking.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I try and do the same. Love my 5442's. Where I can I use a fixed lens as they let in more light. That said I have a couple of the newer 5442H-ZHE VF bullets and the nighttime IR image is every bit as good as my previous gen 5442 fixed lens ones.