Headless with little resource use

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
We have a media server where all our media and SageTV resides on. At each TV we have s streaming player that is linked to our media server. The media server run headless 24/7.

Can Blue Iris configure to be run bare bone and headless? We only wanted a way to be able to record all our security cameras to our media server so we can view it on our streaming boxes but don't want to use up too much server resources or the GUI feature etc

Bill

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We have a media server where all our media and SageTV resides on. At each TV we have s streaming player that is linked to our media server. The media server run headless 24/7.

Can Blue Iris configure to be run bare bone and headless? We only wanted a way to be able to record all our security cameras to our media server so we can view it on our streaming boxes but don't want to use up too much server resources or the GUI feature etc

Bill
It can run headless. Will use less resources if you are not displaying a live feed.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
It can run headless. Will use less resources if you are not displaying a live feed.

Thank you for reply

We are not plan on doing any live feed from server itself. The server is locked away in the basement and we view our videos and TV recording via stream boxes Nexus, FireTv and HD300.

Is there any other different NVR that also run headless and records IP cam videos?

Bill

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for reply

We are not plan on doing any live feed from server itself. The server is locked away in the basement and we view our videos and TV recording via stream boxes Nexus, FireTv and HD300.

Is there any other different NVR that also run headless and records IP cam videos?

Bill
What cams are you using...you might simply want to use a standalone nvr..it depends on your needs..

Abbell

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another question would be if BI can stream to other devices... I run BI from remote so headless works just fine. I am curious if it can stream out to a VLC, Rasp Pi, etc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Another question would be if BI can stream to other devices... I run BI from remote so headless works just fine. I am curious if it can stream out to a VLC, Rasp Pi, etc.
yes it can

Abbell

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hrmm... Thanks Fenderman, now the fun can begin. I use a 7" monitor by my front door that shows my porch and front door cam. If I can setup streams to the TVs that would be perfect as well.
I used to run 4 channels over my TV coax, but now that I have basic cable that has been hijacked and I am looking for alternatives.
Thank you

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
What cams are you using...you might simply want to use a standalone nvr..it depends on your needs..
I want to try it with the Huisun cams. Since it does not support NAS and FTP isn't working on it so I need to RTSP stream (if it works and not broken on Huisun like every other features ha!) from cam to a storage space on our media server so we can view it from any media player in our house.

Our existing cams FTP the recording over to our media server but it also support NAS.

I only record on motions so when it detect a motion and start recording, it'll upload the recording over to my media server and I get an email about it. Then I can pause what I am watching on TV and quickly go to the cam folder menu and playback the recording to see what triggered it without having to leave the menu itself or open another apps. If i was continuously recording then I probably would be using NAS instead of FTP.

I don't mind using a stand alone NVR if it have a feature that it can share it's storage on network so media server can access it to the recordings on it. Is there such NVR that share it storage on network or is it viewable on network as a drive storage?

Bill