Heated Driveway vs ANOTHER Buffalo Lake Effect Snow Storm // December 17th-18th, 2022

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just what you need if you enjoy all the seasons ..

Heated Driveway vs ANOTHER Buffalo Lake Effect Snow Storm / December 17th-18th, 2022
Chris Decker

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's doing a great job but like @Coal_Cracker I too wondered about the cost vs. benefit.....so you can walk around in or drive around OK in your driveway but if you go to drive anywhere on the roadways you're still subject to all the same issues as before.
Maybe instead of doing the whole driveway, only do where the tires track. Back in the day, some driveways had grass in the middle...got a friend living in an older part of town, house built in 40s, his driveway is like this...

1672319617285.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe instead of doing the whole driveway, only do where the tires track. Back in the day, some driveways had grass in the middle...got a friend living in an older part of town, house built in 40s, his driveway is like this...

View attachment 149393
Yes, there's still plenty of older houses in the upscale parts of Atlanta from the 30's and 40's like that. The old cars dripped more oil in those days and there was no concrete to be dripped on! Most homes there were heated with coal and the chute to the basement near the furnace was accessible on the side of the house and the trucks delivering the coal were particularly dripping oil and dropping coal dust, mostly in the grass (as told to me circa 1960 by my late grandfather).

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hah! We had a coal burning furnace when I was a kid. No basement, 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, 1 living room, kitchen. That was it. The furnace took up about 1/4-1/3 of the living room. The duct-work hung from the ceiling and went to the bedroom doors (had to keep the doors open to get heat in there) and the kitchen. It got changed to a gas furnace in the attic somewhere between Christmas of '59 and '60. Never thought anything of it because we simply took it for granted.

Unbelievable that we didn't cause global warming all by ourselves, eh? :rolleyes:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
It's doing a great job but like @Coal_Cracker I too wondered about the cost vs. benefit.....so you can walk around in or drive around OK in your driveway but if you go to drive anywhere on the roadways you're still subject to all the same issues as before.
I think the point is to avoid shoveling the snow more than it is in an effort to travel somewhere.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think the point is to avoid shoveling the snow more than it is in an effort to travel somewhere.
Oh, I get that....but if I CAN'T go anywhere once I get out of the driveway, I AIN"T gonna shovel it anyway! :cool:
Maybe that's just me..obviously they have a different viewpoint.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Think I'm going to do that when I replace the sidewalk at the front of my house. It's on the north side and gets no sun. Always freezes up and is a pain in the ass for a week. Get tired of skating to the front door.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You've all seen my driveway, I would do this if it didn't cost a fortune to install. With the slope my drive has, it is a royal pain to shovel without busting your ass. More times than not, we get a coat of freezing rain on it first, prior to snow, and that makes it doubly loads of fun to clean off. Thankfully, it faces south, so most of the time, the sun takes care of it eventually.

CDecker

n3wb
Reaction score
Funny how the internet brings us all together! This is my install and video! :) Not sure if any of you saw my more recent video on the blizzard, but the window in front of my GoPro kept getting snowed over. I had a subscriber reach out who recommended a Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2 IP cam mounted externally instead, due to its good low light capabilities. I'd be curious the thoughts of this group. If anyone has any questions about the driveway or the install, just ask!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Funny how the internet brings us all together! This is my install and video! :) Not sure if any of you saw my more recent video on the blizzard, but the window in front of my GoPro kept getting snowed over. I had a subscriber reach out who recommended a Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2 IP cam mounted externally instead, due to its good low light capabilities. I'd be curious the thoughts of this group. If anyone has any questions about the driveway or the install, just ask!
Welcome @CDecker

Great to have you join us, really appreciated the videos you posted. Great job on the project and sharing it with us.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First off, great to have you here. Secondly, hahaha... you're going to have 16 cameras up and running before you know it. :)

There will be others showing up to help you with cameras. We have a guy around here @EMPIRETECANDY that can set you up with any camera, etc.. that is needed at great prices and great service.

Having survived through that blizzard, is there anything you would change, not only with your heated driveway, but any exterior vents, generators, etc...?