Heating of Dahua IP cameras

quadro

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. Please tell me I bought a pair of DAHUA 2,3 cameras, And 5 series,so the 2nd series camera is slightly warm to the touch,i.e. it does not heat up,the 5th series is already hotter to hold your hand, but the heating is already above average,but the 3rd series Dahua IPC-HDW3841EM-S-S2 is already so hot that for a long time the hand is not you can probably keep it at 70 degrees or more, especially at night with a backlight. I wanted to find out how critical the high temperature is for them.Thank you.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is fine and normal. We have seen people measure temps at over 110 and have worked for years.

The 5 series is ideal MP on ideal sensor size so that is why it is the coolest of them all.

Take the IPC-HDW3841EM-S-S2, which is 8MP shoved on a 1/2.8" sensor that is designed for 2MP. So it takes more processor power to process 8MP so that is why that camera is hotter because the processor is working harder and that generates heat.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I don’t know how accurate it is but my mini ptz measures 140 degrees F routinely and I’ve seen it say 160

quadro

n3wb
Reaction score
It is fine and normal. We have seen people measure temps at over 110 and have worked for years.
110 degrees Celsius?As I understand it, I shouldn't worry that my cameras are getting so hot?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
110 degrees Celsius?As I understand it, I shouldn't worry that my cameras are getting so hot?
F lol.

These cameras get hot, especially small turrets with undersized processors in them.

People have used these in Florida and Arizona heat for years without issues.

And the plus side is your won't have to worry about them freezing in Canada winters LOL.

quadro

n3wb
Reaction score
F lol.
And the plus side is your won't have to worry about them freezing in Canada winters LOL.
I live in another country, not Canada..Fahrenheit 110 turns out to be about 43 degrees Celsius, my camera exceeds 70 degrees Celsius, but this is with the backlight on.During the day, the temperature is about 45-55, in the shade.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, your location shows Canada...

1722088657635.png

The dual lens "boobie" cam is a classic example camera of overworking the processor by putting 2 cameras on one processor designed for one camera and people have reported temperature gun readings exceed 160 degrees F (70 C) and they have worked for years.

Again, you are shoving a mini computer in a small ball turret with no cooling fan - it is going to get hot.

And if they work for years in areas where the outside temperature exceeds 100 degrees F, then they are going to be fine.

quadro

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh, your location shows Canada...

View attachment 199713

And if they work for years in areas where the outside temperature exceeds 100 degrees F, then they are going to be fine.
The camera will work outdoors, now I’m temporarily testing it indoors, I don’t know how long it will work outdoors, since this summer turned out to be especially hot with an average of about 40 degrees in the shade, I can’t imagine what the temperature will be inside the camera.

quadro

n3wb
Reaction score
The dual lens "boobie" cam is a classic example camera of overworking the processor by putting 2 cameras on one processor designed for one camera and people have reported temperature gun readings exceed 160 degrees F (70 C) and they have worked for years.

Again, you are shoving a mini computer in a small ball turret with no cooling fan - it is going to get hot.

Thank you for responding.If someone has similar cameras, it would be interesting to know how they are doing with the temperature?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for responding.If someone has similar cameras, it would be interesting to know how they are doing with the temperature?
This site has members all around the world with cameras installed in all kinds of extremes and conditions.

It is rare to see someone come here with a Dahua that failed for any reason. There was a batch of 2-series cameras purchased about 5 years ago that seemed to have a higher than normal failure rate, but we just don't see many people come here with failures. Sure there are some like with any electronic device, but the most common complaint is the protective lens glazing over for cameras exposed to sunlight or someone's camera quit working because of corrosion and they didn't use dielectric grease or properly waterproof. Or the lightning strike that zapped electronics.

Basically I am saying your concerns about the heat of these cameras are a non-issue. You will probably want to upgrade the camera before it fails due to heat.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
One way I try to look at these things, using a camera 5 watt draw as an example.

What this gadget is, is a 5-watt heater that also happens to have a camera with it. Think of it as a 5-watt incandescent light bulb inside an enclosure. The smaller the enclosure, the hotter it will get. A 5442 turret won't get as hot as a 5442 fixed focal. Touch the actual light bulb and it will burn your skin.

quadro

n3wb
Reaction score
Basically I am saying your concerns about the heat of these cameras are a non-issue. You will probably want to upgrade the camera before it fails due to heat.
I hope everything will be fine as you say.Thank you.
A 5442 turret won't get as hot as a 5442 fixed focal. Touch the actual light bulb and it will burn your skin.
Yes, it is, the smaller the case, the more heated it is. the fact is that I compared it with my old cameras, which are 3-4 years old, yes they have fewer megapixels, but they are barely warm.Thank you.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My, these things do get pretty hot. I'm testing a fixed-focal 5442-S3 in the house. It's out of its mount, i.e. the eyeball only. With ambient temp of 72F, the camera draws 4.6 watts with IR off and reaches 114 degrees. With IR on 100% it draws 8.3 watts and hits 134 degrees. It should do a bit better in its mount, transferring some of the heat to the clamshell. On the other hand, the plastic bumpers will stop most heat transfer to the base.