Hell Yeah! Direct Deepstack Integration - 5.4.0 - March 31, 2021

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I would think so. I got a 1030 card that is about as low as you can go and it was a significant improvement for DS.
It's only 5GB... might be worth a try.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
At this time I believe only NVidia cards are compatible with DS. Look at the Tesla series of cards from NVidia.

Thanks.

I think BI might have to seriously consider this as I understand the Tesla cards are going to be discontinued as well. I believe the AX which are Ampere based are going to take the place of all existing cards. The greta news i the perofrmance hike is massive. The bad news is the starting price jumps from around £110 currently for a P400 to around £699 from what info I can find, for a bottom of the range AX2000. Probably good value for a CAD user. Not so much for CCTV use.

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks.

I think BI might have to seriously consider this as I understand the Tesla cards are going to be discontinued as well. I believe the AX which are Ampere based are going to take the place of all existing cards. The greta news i the perofrmance hike is massive. The bad news is the starting price jumps from around £110 currently for a P400 to around £699 from what info I can find, for a bottom of the range AX2000. Probably good value for a CAD user. Not so much for CCTV use.
Or consider using the google coral like Frigate does for $70 for the USB and a 10th of the power consumption.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Or consider using the google coral like Frigate does for $70 for the USB and a 10th of the power consumption.
Thanks but that requires a 2 way connection through my firewall 24/7 and I see that as a vulnerability. In addition, the bandwidth usage is going to possibly make other activities such as gaming compromised as 24/7 BI will be sending pictures to the cloud for anaylsis and receiving the results back.

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks but that requires a 2 way connection through my firewall 24/7 and I see that as a vulnerability. In addition, the bandwidth usage is going to possibly make other activities such as gaming compromised as 24/7 BI will be sending pictures to the cloud for anaylsis and receiving the results back.
Google coral is completely local. It doesn't send anything to the cloud. The hardware is very impressive and a lot less power-hungry than GPUs with quicker inference speeds.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
OK my bad. However, does BI support this and is it plug and play? I'm guessing no and no in which case whilst it looks like an exellent product, it's somewhat academic.

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK my bad. However, does BI support this and is it plug and play? I'm guessing no and no in which case whilst it looks like an exellent product, it's somewhat academic.
That's my point though the tools are available to integrate into the blue iris. Deep stack is using the same libraries that coral's machine learning is built on. I am actively using it to do object recognition right now on my cameras.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
That's my point though the tools are available to integrate into the blue iris. Deep stack is using the same libraries that coral's machine learning is built on. I am actively using it to do object recognition right now on my cameras.
Maybe you can provide some comparison to Quadro in performance and if better, talk to the BI devs about plug and play support for one of the modules.

As many can't code, I'm guessing unless it can be made plug and play, then it's still academic.

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe you can provide some comparison to Quadro in performance and if better, talk to the BI devs about plug and play support for one of the modules.

As many can't code, I'm guessing unless it can be made plug and play, then it's still academic.
I am seeing interference speeds around 12ms, with 4 cameras ranging from 1080p to 4k using frigate.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
How many are triggered simultaneously? How many images are you analyzing? Four cameras is not much of a test, plus if it's Google it's behind the eight ball already to me. I don't trust Google further than I could throw them.

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
C
How many are triggered simultaneously? How many images are you analyzing? Four cameras is not much of a test, plus if it's Google it's behind the eight ball already to me. I don't trust Google further than I could throw them.
A coral is capable of 100fps. I am running each camera at 5fps as any more FPS does not improve the recognition. It's also built differently than how deep stack. Frigate is searching motion zones and only sends areas with the motion for processing. I will some times add a 5th camera but I haven't bothered to do get in my attic yet.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
OK, that's all well and good but in a normal surveillance situation you're looking at, typically, 10-20FPS and anything from ten cameras on up. I've currently got a dozen using DS and get excellent ID in under 100ms typically examining a total of 15 images per trigger.

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, that's all well and good but in a normal surveillance situation you're looking at, typically, 10-20FPS and anything from ten cameras on up. I've currently got a dozen using DS and get excellent ID in under 100ms typically examining a total of 15 images per trigger.
I am recording at full camera FPS. Anywhere from 15-30 depending on the camera. I am running object recognition at 5fps as that is what the dev of frigate recommended as he did not see any improvement in object detection running faster FPS. The object detection is done in real-time with frigate. 1 coral would be able to support 5 cameras at 20fps if you wanted to run it at full speed or 20 at the recommended 5FPS. They make coral boards with 1 to 16 TPUs if you want to scale up.

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll stick with an integrated package since I already have enough NVidia cards to handle a few hundred cameras with no problem. Zero investment, less equipment footprint and zero Google footprint.
That's fine, I am just making a suggestion for future improvement of the software not trying to change anyone's mind on their process. Seeing the interference speeds I am getting vs what I have seen in this thread and the complaints about pricing and power consumption I figured I would toss out a solution to improve on those two things. The coral board was designed by Google, other than that it is using the same models that deep stack takes advantage of and nothing is sent to google period but I guess if that is such a sticking point.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Thnaks for the info. From what Sebastian is saying, it sounds as if it has some way to go on mathcing the quadros.

I understand that you can have more TPU's. However, I also read a warning with the 2 tpu board to watch power consumption through the m.2 slot as it can peak at 3 Amps just for the two tpus and so has the potential to fry power stages further down the chain if the MB can't take the transient high power draws. I've bought a gaming motherboard with a good power stage, so in itself, not too much of a worry. However, anything with the potential to burn something or that's going to run components near their rated spec has me worried for longetivity. Maybe when the techs more mature...

I believe this was the board I viewed: M.2 Accelerator with Dual Edge TPU | Coral

Current draw is mentioned in the pdf here in section 3.1 power consumption: M.2 Accelerator with Dual Edge TPU datasheet | Coral

Last edited:

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
C

A coral is capable of 100fps. I am running each camera at 5fps as any more FPS does not improve the recognition. It's also built differently than how deep stack. Frigate is searching motion zones and only sends areas with the motion for processing. I will some times add a 5th camera but I haven't bothered to do get in my attic yet.
Just curios how does 5fps work if you set the trigger for let's say every 150ms for 5 seconds? Maybe I'm being dumb but doesn't the fps need to be higher than the interval rate? I've got my cameras set at 8-10fps and trigger 250 ms for example

Blue iris with dd
Thanks

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score