Hello everyone.....newbie looking for help with an existing Backstreet system

Fraid Knot

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys.....newbie on the ip camera scene. I inherited a system in an office condo. Its a Backstreet system with POE cameras. The NVR has a POE switch with some extra spaces to add cameras. I don't know how old the NVR is but i've kinda got the interface figured out. It doesn't have but 4 cameras, one of which is dead. I would like to add/replace a couple more. I searched through the threads for info on a backstreet system and the consensus is Backstreet simply rebrands dahua cameras. If this is the case, am I limited to the backstreet or dahua brand only? I'm looking for some help in finding a camera that is compatible with the existing system. My plan is to build/upgrade to a blue iris system when the backstreet NVR takes a dump. It would be great if I could use the new cameras in the new system. I'm not sure what brand or specs to look for so that it will work on the existing system. The camera placement will be at the front entrance door. Any help would be appreciated.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I am not familiar with backstreet NVRs at all. If it is a Dahua rebranded, I would think you could use Amcrest cameras
sold on this site (also rebranded Dahua) or you can buy Dahua cameras and use. Maybe buy one and test it before jumping in all the way.

The number 1 camera around here is the IPC-T5442T-ZE
The best prices to get them at are either on Amazon from Empire Tech (he stands behind them)

Also he is a vendor on this forum,

I email him and tell him what I want, he sends me a pay pall invoice, I pay and usually have my cameras in less then a week.
Welcome to the mad house of cameras, there are nuts, genius, engineers, and great guys. Yes, I fit in a couple of these categories.:welcome:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CaptainKen

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes Amcrest works with Backstreet NVR.

In 2019-12 I bought the Backstreet "Pro8NVR - ProVue 4K NVR 8 IP Video Channels Audio 30fps" with 7 4K cameras (Pro900-4K and Pro120 4K) for $2,000.

Their support is free and they'll spend as much time as needed on phone with you, once you finally get a tech on the line. Had multiple calls and emails to one of their techs trying to get them connected to the "IP Cam Viewer" app on Roku. Had to change them to a different connection mode (very involved!) but had not luck. Amcrest connected seamlessly. He told me one of their guys had played around with it and he would get back to me, but never followed through. He also said he would reach out to their manufacturer how replied back with useless information. Backstreet cameras worked with IP Cam Viewer on iPhone, but not same app on Roku. Also don't work with iCam app on iPhone.

Besides their software the ONLY browser that was supported was IE 8 and above, FF 51 or lower, Chrome 44 or lower.. They claimed that because IE EOL they would be updating to run more current browsers, but since the cameras don't auto update I never tried it.

Of course there's no smart home integration of any kind.

Not impressed!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys.....newbie on the ip camera scene. I inherited a system in an office condo. Its a Backstreet system with POE cameras. The NVR has a POE switch with some extra spaces to add cameras. I don't know how old the NVR is but i've kinda got the interface figured out. It doesn't have but 4 cameras, one of which is dead. I would like to add/replace a couple more. I searched through the threads for info on a backstreet system and the consensus is Backstreet simply rebrands dahua cameras. If this is the case, am I limited to the backstreet or dahua brand only? I'm looking for some help in finding a camera that is compatible with the existing system. My plan is to build/upgrade to a blue iris system when the backstreet NVR takes a dump. It would be great if I could use the new cameras in the new system. I'm not sure what brand or specs to look for so that it will work on the existing system. The camera placement will be at the front entrance door. Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome @Fraid Knot

Backstreet security .. after seeing one of their clearly misleading videos on youtube comparing a backstreet camera vs a low end Lorex plastic camera and the Backstreet presenter snapping the Lorex Plastic camera's stem and basically stating all of the Lorex cameras are poor quality builds .. well after that, I have them in my 100% do not trust.

In general, most security brands we see in the USA are rebranded OEMs .. of those Chinese OEMs seem to hold dominant positions: Hikvision OEM, Dahua OEM , Uniview OEM, Raysharp OEM, ..

First I would check the Backstreet product if it is a Dahua or Hikvision OEM

Share the Kit / Camera models number and link to an image .. sometimes it is easy to tell from the look of the camera body.

Otherwise, look at the interface of the NVR and determine what it looks like .. either Hikvision or Dahua.

Fraid Knot

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the follow up. I have since scrapped the backstreet system because one of the HD's failed. Initially, it worked ok. I found the interface a bit dated but I don't know when the system was purchased. I subsequently purchased a Blue Iris license and a couple of Andy's cameras based forum suggestions. I am utilizing the backstreet cameras that still have some life on the building perimeter. They did work on the BI system. I had to play with the settings but they are "ok" for now. Def. plan to upgrade. This "hobby" is very addictive. Learning a ton from this forum.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm running a Condo security system as well. i came aboard with an PC running Eyemax security software on Win 7 32 bit. With a PCI board running a 16 Dongle BNC connector interface. I think it had 9 cameras. The garage cameras were in B&W with no IR, entry door cams were in a bland color with grainy images. The lobby cam was pretty clear, and it was a manual PTZ dome.
I tried adding some 2mp Amcrest cams with analog BNC connections. quite an improvement. But after some google searches I dropped in here to have a look around.
Now I have a BI PC at work with 18 cameras. and the 12 Analog cameras duties are being handled by a Nightowl 16 ch Dvr. only 4 original cameras remain.
Unfortunately before stumbling in here, we impulsively bought a Nightowl Costco system with 4 Analog 5Mp 2.8 mm cams.
I thought I was All that and a bag of chips.
Learning alot.
getting good License plate reading at night to give to the Ramsey Cty. Sheriff for the clowns that come thru looking for converters, or door checking, etc....

CaptainKen

n3wb
Reaction score
I searched through the threads for info on a backstreet system and the consensus is Backstreet simply rebrands dahua cameras.
Based on this notice on Backstreet website they are not rebranded Dahua.

CaptainKen

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the follow up. I have since scrapped the backstreet system because one of the HD's failed. Initially, it worked ok. I found the interface a bit dated but I don't know when the system was purchased. I subsequently purchased a Blue Iris license and a couple of Andy's cameras based forum suggestions. I am utilizing the backstreet cameras that still have some life on the building perimeter. They did work on the BI system. I had to play with the settings but they are "ok" for now. Def. plan to upgrade. This "hobby" is very addictive. Learning a ton from this forum.
What brand name did the Backstreet cameras show up as in Blue Iris? I have 7 Backstreet cameras with their NVR that I want to switch to using Blue Iris. Any tips?

UPDATE: Spelling correction.

Last edited:

Fraid Knot

n3wb
Reaction score
I used the default generic onvif profile in blue iris for a couple of the cameras that were still working. I remember that BI could not find one of the cameras so I entered the camera ip manually and it connected. Currently, I've got one of the backstreet cameras that is still kicking but its on its last leg as it just shuts down intermittently. I've been replacing them with the Loryta cameras as they fail. Love the BI system.

CaptainKen

n3wb
Reaction score
I used the default generic onvif profile in blue iris for a couple of the cameras that were still working. I remember that BI could not find one of the cameras so I entered the camera ip manually and it connected. Currently, I've got one of the backstreet cameras that is still kicking but its on its last leg as it just shuts down intermittently. I've been replacing them with the Loryta cameras as they fail. Love the BI system.
Great thanks for sharing so quickly

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well the folks over at ipvm disagree - at least in 2018 when they first started slamming dahua. If true, its shameful.
If they are rebranding longse as suggested in that thread, its even worse. Longse stole hikvision's firmware as well as outright stole milestone vms . Perhaps someone at backstreet needs to tell us who is making their cams.
Perhaps they changed their entire lineup to another brand. Only they can answer that.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @CaptainKen

Please check the dates ..

"In 2019-12 I bought the Backstreet "Pro8NVR - ProVue 4K NVR 8 IP Video Channels Audio 30fps" with 7 4K cameras (Pro900-4K and Pro120 4K) for $2,000. " - CaptainKen

" .. In 2019, the US government banned the use of Dahua, Hikvision and Montavue security cameras in federal facilities. In June 2021, the FCC unanimously voted to start procedures to ban the sale of these brands to the general public by denying new products FCC approval. " - Back Street .. Banned Security Camera Brands - Lorex, Hikvision, Dauha

Since you picked up the kit in 2019 and looking at the dates in the Back Street Statement, I feel it is by no means definitive ..

Do you have a screen shot of the NVRs interface?

update: I've added info from Back Street on those cameras and NVR .. I do not recognize the camera body .. normally I look to see if the body of the camera is similar to models I know and that often gives me a clue to the OEM.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Noticed that Back Street claims the cameras are only compatible with ProVue NVR .. not certain if that is 100% accurate, as most vendors do not want to support NVRs from other vendors .. too much tech support required, so often they just will support their own branded products.

"Pro8NVR - ProVue 4K NVR 8 IP Video Channels Audio 30fps"

1663981339166.png

Pro900-4K

1663981426325.png

Pro120 4K

1663981580541.png

Attachments