Hello From Atlanta - Help on PC build

jblondin

n3wb
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

Time to retire the arlo setup. I have some old parts from a lenovo legion PC collecting dust. Its a B460 matx mobo without HDMI ports. I have a 10900 non K cpu that I could use, however the main concern I have, is will I be able to use the CPU to its full potential since I need to install a GPU to get video out? I was thinking of possibly trying to get another motherboard, but the LGA 1200 models are still around 100$...where I could get an older used quadro card for maybe 25$. Everything else I was going to learn as I go. I was going to get one camera....a WD purple drive, poe switch...and get started.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Thanks

Jason

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

I am not an expert but your MOBO and CPU have more than enough horsepower to run a solid system. RAM is cheap right now so it seems you could buy a used $25 GPU or find a decent to good new budget GPU for less than $75 - $100, case and PSU probably adds another $100. 16GB RAM should be more than enough.

Make sure you read the Cliff Notes located in the WIKI at the top of the page. Plan on more cameras and size your switch accordingly.

Starting slow and building is what I did, went from one Dahua (EmpireTech rebrand) and BI and now run six Dahua with several more to mount:D

I run a 4TB WD, wish it was 6GB or bigger. 16GB RAM is enough for my setup, RYZEN 2700 with no GPU in use, runs 100% on Blue Iris for the last 3 years.

jblondin

n3wb
Reaction score
My issue is that I don't think quick sync will work with my mobo as it doesn't support igpu. I don't think the bios will support it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Quick Sync isn't needed anymore. That was only needed back before substreams were introduced. The substreams allowed other CPUs without QuickSync to be used. For kicks I disabled it and deleted the driver and my system ran fine LOL.

A GPU is only needed if you plan to go heavy on CodeProject instead of using the built-in AI of the cameras. But many are showing the CPU version of CodeProject is more stable than the GPU version, so you should be fine with a 10th gen processor.

Around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see that error when I was using hardware acceleration several updates into when AI was added.

Hardware Acceleration is when you offload the video to the internal GPU/Quick Sync.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, but the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU (internal or external) is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using hardware acceleration.

My CPU % went down by not using hardware acceleration. But if you use HA, use plain intel and not the variants.

Here is a recent thread where someone turned off hardware acceleration based on my post and their CPU dropped 10-15% and BI became stable.

jblondin

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, I need a GPU to actually install the software and get windows on right? So quick sync is nothing now? The wiki needs a lot of work then.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well this is a volunteer site that nobody gets paid for LOL, so some of the wiki stuff is dated, especially where it comes to computer recommendations and camera recommendations.

Your MOBO doesn't have a Displayport or DVI? If not, then yeah you would need something to get video to a monitor, but the GPU would not be needed for BI anymore.

Also keep in mind most of us run it headless and we remote desktop into the computer for BI, so some may not have and display ports either.

jblondin

n3wb
Reaction score
Well this is a volunteer site that nobody gets paid for LOL, so some of the wiki stuff is dated, especially where it comes to computer recommendations and camera recommendations.

Your MOBO doesn't have a Displayport or DVI? If not, then yeah you would need something to get video to a monitor, but the GPU would not be needed for BI anymore.

Also keep in mind most of us run it headless and we remote desktop into the computer for BI, so some may not have and display ports either.
Ya, no video card, parted out the PC a while ago. I need a way to set it up.

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Borrow a card from another machine? It sounds like you've got everything else you need to do a test. Give it a try.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep you just need the card long enough to set up windows and remote desktop and then do it all from another computer.

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe haunt the county auctions then. I picked up a pair of i5-6500 hp desktops for $25 recently. They came with Windows 10 built in, and somewhat to my surprise, one is running BI just fine with my 9 cameras, and drawing low power. Patience is your ally.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty sure I need a full time GPU...it won't boot without it
Interesting. Like I said I disabled it and deleted the driver for kicks and grins to test it and mine worked fine via remote desktop.

jblondin

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe haunt the county auctions then. I picked up a pair of i5-6500 hp desktops for $25 recently. They came with Windows 10 built in, and somewhat to my surprise, one is running BI just fine with my 9 cameras, and drawing low power. Patience is your ally.
I can get an old Quadro for 25$. If I don't need quick sync anymore, shouldn't be a problem. I just need video out to setup windows and the feed. I already have windows, hdd, ram, CPU, etc. Just wondered because the wiki said you needed quick sync

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since the wiki is written by several different people, let me decode a little for you and future people that find this thread.

From the Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris wiki:

Intel Quick Sync Video support can be used for hardware accelerated video decoding, which can improve energy-efficiency and performance, however the difference is minimal if you are use sub streams effectively. Quick Sync is only available on Intel CPUs with integrated graphics, and it doesn't work within virtual machines unless you pass through the Intel integrated graphics to the VM, which does not work on all systems.

And then from the Optimization wiki:

If your CPU supports Intel® Quick Sync Video, then you can use hardware acceleration in Blue Iris to reduce CPU and energy usage with any camera streaming H.264. If your Intel CPU is 6th-generation (such as i5-6500) or newer, then you can use hardware acceleration for H.265 streams as well since around mid-April 2020 (beginning Blue Iris 5.2.5 or so). However beware that hardware acceleration can cause a number of problems such as ghosting in the video or reduced stability of Blue Iris. Relatively recently, some people have found that Intel hardware acceleration actually increases their CPU usage and causes performance problems. If you decide to turn on hardware acceleration, measure CPU usage before and after to judge if it is worth using.

So for those new to Blue Iris, hardware acceleration means using Quick Sync or a GPU. But since substreams were introduced, that takes the need for hardware acceleration/quick sync from being needed. In turn, this has opened up non-Intel CPUs and lower gen Intels to be capable systems. Folks are running 50 cameras on a 4th generation CPU as an example at sub 30% CPU. That would not be possible without substreams and hardware acceleration would be needed.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jblondin

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep, not needed. Wiki is outdated as it applies to computer requirements and camera recommendations.
Wouldn't it make sense to take that down? Not being snarky...but you start out, and I would expect people to read the wiki first, which I did...and its DOA. Where would one start to find current info on this?