Hello From Atlanta - Help on PC build

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Point taken, but that is why I posted above showing how it is there if you understand what you are looking at.

Could it be clearer. YES. But there is still good info there that taking it down completely would be wrong and that is why we point it out the outdated stuff when we reference it or someone mentions it.

Unfortunately it isn't as easy to edit it as one would think. When a contributer like me goes to edit it, the edit format is all code and other things and one simple delete this section FUBARS the entire thing LOL. So we make attempts when we get time.

jblondin

n3wb
Reaction score
Roger that...im a big fan of RTFM...got burned. Lol. Im going to get a few things on order...and start to tinker. Thanks for the help

cybernetics1d

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd argue that QuickSync or GPU hardware decoding with Nvidia is still relevant depending on someone's use case and how many cameras. If you're doing 24/7 substream recording with D1 (708x480) resolution and mainstream upon triggered, then QuickSync/GPU decoding might not be a big deal with your 10th processor. If you're like me or some others that use 24/7 substream recording with higher resolution such as 1080p or 720p (assuming your camera supports this) and mainstream upon triggered, depending how many cameras you have, using QuickSync/GPU would be more efficient than using CPU for this in my opinion, especially if you're deciding to use H.265 format instead of the H.264 codec.

In your situation, since your CPU doesn't have GPU built-in, I'd advise to consider getting a nvidia quadro p620/p1000 at minimum to use in case you're planning to use CodeProject AI with your camera. You should definitely consider looking into this unless you're using cameras with built-in AI detection and even then, you will find the camera built-in AI detection is not perfect, especially at night when occasionally you will get false alerts. This is where CP AI can be useful as secondary method to confirm person/vehicle to prevent BI sending you false alerts. The NVIDIA GPU will be much efficient and faster at handling AI computation than your processor.

jblondin

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd argue that QuickSync or GPU hardware decoding with Nvidia is still relevant depending on someone's use case and how many cameras. If you're doing 24/7 substream recording with D1 (708x480) resolution and mainstream upon triggered, then QuickSync/GPU decoding might not be a big deal with your 10th processor. If you're like me or some others that use 24/7 substream recording with higher resolution such as 1080p or 720p (assuming your camera supports this) and mainstream upon triggered, depending how many cameras you have, using QuickSync/GPU would be more efficient than using CPU for this in my opinion, especially if you're deciding to use H.265 format instead of the H.264 codec.

In your situation, since your CPU doesn't have GPU built-in, I'd advise to consider getting a nvidia quadro p620/p1000 at minimum to use in case you're planning to use CodeProject AI with your camera. You should definitely consider looking into this unless you're using cameras with built-in AI detection and even then, you will find the camera built-in AI detection is not perfect, especially at night when occasionally you will get false alerts. This is where CP AI can be useful as secondary method to confirm person/vehicle to prevent BI sending you false alerts. The NVIDIA GPU will be much efficient and faster at handling AI computation than your processor.
My CPU does have the GPU built in. It's a 10900. I ended up ordering a p600 Quadro on ebay. The main question I had was could I even enable quick sync since my mobo doesn't have igpu support. It's a Lenovo b460 with OEM bios.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
you sure your main board is devoid of any raphics ports? Perhaps it has a module that plugs in for " onchip graphics..
cuz heres a search based on your lenovo #'s and that particular one has a HMDI and VGA port.
could be older generation or a variant.(edit) thats ebays find..an iB460....hmmm

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jblondin

n3wb
Reaction score
you sure your main board is devoid of any raphics ports? Perhaps it has a module that plugs in for " onchip graphics..
cuz heres a search based on your lenovo #'s and that particular one has a HMDI and VGA port.
could be older generation or a variant.(edit) thats ebays find..an iB460....hmmm
does your look like this?
View attachment 164857

This is mine.

jblondin

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep, devoid.

cybernetics1d

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My CPU does have the GPU built in. It's a 10900. I ended up ordering a p600 Quadro on ebay. The main question I had was could I even enable quick sync since my mobo doesn't have igpu support. It's a Lenovo b460 with OEM bios.
There might be a limitation with your motherboard, especially from Lenovo, if that motherboard was originally meant to pair with non-iGPU integrated CPU. I think only way to find out is the setup Windows 10/11 on it and see if it recognizes your iGPU. If it doesn't see it within your Device Manager inside the OS, I doubt you'll be able to use QuickSync. Just a quick glance at your CPU benchmark scores for your i9-10900k , i'm pretty sure you should be fine even without QuickSync. That's a relatively new processor with plenty of cores/threads to handle BlueIris. It'd probably be a waste for that processor imo with its usage probably sitting idle doing nothing.