Hello from Denver.

conandy

n3wb
Reaction score
Noob here, hoping to learn what I need for a DIY home surveillance system from all you fine folks! Found this site after watching some of The Hookup and other vids on the web. Desperately want to replace my cheap battery powered Arlo system. I know enough to know that I know almost nothing....yet!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Start out by reading the Cliff Notes in the blue bar at the top of the page. Do that on real PC/laptop, not a phone/tablet. The next step is to make a plan based on what your expectations and needs are. Then go back and read the Cliff Notes again. Next you'll be revising your plan but then you'll be able to ask questions that result in constructive and helpful answers. Use the search tool, either the magnifying glass on the right side of the blue bar, or the web version of search - site:ipcamtalk.com (search term) but don't use any parentheses.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Take a look at this thread I created that discusses the importance of focal length over MP, complete with camera recommendations based on the distance you want to IDENTIFY.

conandy

n3wb
Reaction score
Take a look at this thread I created that discusses the importance of focal length over MP, complete with camera recommendations based on the distance you want to IDENTIFY.

Thanks! I had seen the thread talking about The Hookup review, and that was what made me wonder how I could learn enough about this subject! Your linked thread about camera selection is exactly what I need to start down the right path.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome!

I assume this might be the thread you were referring to?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Noob here, hoping to learn what I need for a DIY home surveillance system from all you fine folks! Found this site after watching some of The Hookup and other vids on the web. Desperately want to replace my cheap battery powered Arlo system. I know enough to know that I know almost nothing....yet!
Welcome @conandy

I also came here from Arlo and other cameras ..

We've got some better threads, cliff notes, wiki notes, and more solid reviews here now that will help out.

If you own the home, definitely do not be afraid to go wired / cat5e/6 cables for IP PoE security cameras .. so many better solutions now for wired cameras.