Hello from Melbourne (Australia)

championms

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am new here and want some advice regarding IP camera setup.

My kids bikes were stolen last week and that got me looking into setting up a security camera, to prevent any future incidents.

I need something that is useful in capturing images in the night. The camera will be going in the front of the house and I do have some sensor lights over there. The camera will never be recording in pitch dark.

I have also read about Dahua cameras and they look good. I do not intend to invest in an NVR, and will buy a POE switch. I have also been reading about software that can be used to capture video (zoneminder, blue Iris etc).

Can anyone advise what camera will be suitable for this purpose. I was leaning towards Dahua hfc-4431r-z, however looks like setting it up is a nightmare.

Cheers

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am new here and want some advice regarding IP camera setup.

My kids bikes were stolen last week and that got me looking into setting up a security camera, to prevent any future incidents.

I need something that is useful in capturing images in the night. The camera will be going in the front of the house and I do have some sensor lights over there. The camera will never be recording in pitch dark.

I have also read about Dahua cameras and they look good. I do not intend to invest in an NVR, and will buy a POE switch. I have also been reading about software that can be used to capture video (zoneminder, blue Iris etc).

Can anyone advise what camera will be suitable for this purpose. I was leaning towards Dahua hfc-4431r-z, however looks like setting it up is a nightmare.

Cheers
Welcome Championms

Highly recommend starting with a Dahua Varifocal Starlight - IPC-HDW5231R-Z - it is a solid performer in low light conditions.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

championms

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks mat200.

I wanted a bullet type camera and this ipc-hfw5231e-z5 looks the bullet version of the one that you have recommended.
Aliexpress.com : Buy IPC HFW5431E Z 4MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera IPC HFW5431E Z, free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

The following POE switch is from the list by @giomania
https://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-POE-SW501-100Mbps-Uplink-Switch/dp/B00WKRBI0W

I guess I can order these two.

Would these play well with ZoneMinder/Blue Iris?

Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks mat200.

I wanted a bullet type camera and this ipc-hfw5231e-z5 looks the bullet version of the one that you have recommended.
Aliexpress.com : Buy IPC HFW5431E Z 4MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera IPC HFW5431E Z, free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

The following POE switch is from the list by @giomania
https://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-POE-SW501-100Mbps-Uplink-Switch/dp/B00WKRBI0W

I guess I can order these two.

Would these play well with ZoneMinder/Blue Iris?

Thanks.
Hi Championms,

HFW5431E - the 4 = 4 megapixels - so the internal parts will be different than the hfw5231e, where the 2 = 2 megapixels.

Recommend either the 8MP for day time conditions or 2MP starlight version for low light conditions.

I personally have not used ZM or BI - know any of the international model Dahua cameras should work with BI.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score