Hello from NY - Lorex NVR user w/a teensy, Q-see problem

Reaction score
Hey guys

Mat2000 is my homeboy. He hooked me up in the past with such amazing info, and I bought the 6 Camera Lorex NVR system from Costco during the sale for like $700-800 or something last year.

Everything has worked out great, but the installer was a schmuck from DR who couldnt speak English except for repeating the word “IP,” so much so that i thought he needed the restroom. Now, mind you, everything was factory out of the box, so when we hooked everything up it was running smooth as buttah.

Fast forward, the schmuck didnt insulate the wires from moisture, and one connector became rusted and finally shorted out....so I THOUGHT i needed to replace the camera, rather than going through a warranty return that wouldve probably costed me money

So instead, Q-see had a Black Friday sale on an “even better” camera than the Lorex, a QCN8093B-N

Problem is, I dont know how to configure it. Matt gave me some tips to start, and he knows I’ve troubleshot a bit, but I’m going to post a formal thread so its more visible to the rest.

Just want to say hey, HEY MATT, @mat200 wherever you are, its Hilarious!!!

Hope to see you in my thread!
PEACE

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @Hidden Sword

Good to see you here.

Quick reply on the POE power source, I would get a nice small PoE switch - something like:
https://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-Switch-Ethernet-Uplink-Function/dp/B075G2PM17

( just picking a well reviewed BV-tech item from their list, other brands or products maybe worth checking out.. it is just as an example - remember to check the wiki here for the switch list )

The idea is a nice small poe switch is a really nice product to have to test and configure IP PoE cameras and other POE devices. So I try to have a small spare switch around always for testing.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Often if the RJ45 jack on a camera fails due to corrosion, you can get an RJ45 keystone jack and rewire it. The trick is figuring out which wires connect to which pins.

Reaction score
Often if the RJ45 jack on a camera fails due to corrosion, you can get an RJ45 keystone jack and rewire it. The trick is figuring out which wires connect to which pins.
You know, I was thinking about doing some hardware work myself, and that sounds like just the ticket.
I have another slot on my NVR so I wanted to add another camera anyway
If you have any links on the tutorial or rewire instructions, id love to take a look to see if its something i can handle or if i can get my associate to come and do it and then actually run the wire from the outside...but thats another project altogether bp.......i have to concentrate right now on the one thats installed, and the switch that arrives tomorrow!

Next project will be the rewiring, so i am interested in that as well, just so you know

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You can try googling for an RJ45 wiring diagram/table for your camera model. For example, someone here posted the pinout for a Lorex LND2152B.

If you can't find where someone else has done this work, you can do it yourself and all you need is a multimeter and a pigtail in good enough condition that you can do a continuity test between each pin and its connected wire. Cut off the RJ45 connector along with enough of the cable that you can strip some insulation off the wires and touch them individually with probes from the multimeter. Leave most of the cable attached to the camera, as you will need this length when you connect a new RJ45 keystone jack to the camera.

Some cameras may internally bond pins 4 and 5 together, and bond pins 7 and 8 together. These pins may each have distinct wires or the pairs may each share a wire inside the pigtail. So do not be surprised in pins 4 and 5 both connect to the same wire, and pins 7 and 8 both connect to the same wire. Pins 1,2,3,6 should each have a distinct wire that is not shared with any other pin.