Hello from NYC!

Would you use an object detection tool with your cameras?

• Total voters

streamnvr

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a Senior Software Architect with a passion for streaming video and machine learning. I'm currently working on a cloud-based (open source) streaming solution for your local ip cameras. My latest idea is to use object recognition to detect specific objects in your video stream like a car, person or even a firearm and then have some sort of notification/output using machine learning and AI and make it freely available.

I've been following this forum (and finally signed up) for a couple of years now and I'm looking forward to contributing and helping coming from a software developer and architect background!

I welcome your questions (and problems lol).

Have a blessed day!
-Matthew @ NYC

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would not use cloud for anything. In my opinion it wastes band width and is not secure. If it does not run on my local machine, i will not use it.

If have over 47 years in IT architect for the process industries.

streamnvr

n3wb
Reaction score
I would not use cloud for anything. In my opinion it wastes band width and is not secure. If it does not run on my local machine, i will not use it.

Nothing wrong with staying local at all so long as your have a disaster recovery strategy in place. :)

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

If have over 47 years in IT architect for the process industries.
I have this same feeling. What do you feel about sentry. They have "black box processing" and encrypt the photos and only decrypt if you allow. Would you still not use their service?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would not use it. My internet has traffic limits. I do not believe in the corporate security for internet , money first

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a Senior Software Architect with a passion for streaming video and machine learning. I'm currently working on a cloud-based (open source) streaming solution for your local ip cameras. My latest idea is to use object recognition to detect specific objects in your video stream like a car, person or even a firearm and then have some sort of notification/output using machine learning and AI and make it freely available.

I've been following this forum (and finally signed up) for a couple of years now and I'm looking forward to contributing and helping coming from a software developer and architect background!

I welcome your questions (and problems lol).

Have a blessed day!
-Matthew @ NYC
welcome @streamnvr

Sounds like a fun project. While I share numerous concerns with cloud based security camera streaming I do think it is an interesting project you're working on and am curious to see you share your results / milestones / lessons learned.